We have taken good care of it and it is one of my favorite furniture pieces in my daughter's room; and I am sure her's too. Eleven years ago we painted the dresser white and had the brilliant idea of covering the dresser drawers in fabric to match the baby's crib and nursery. Throughout the room changes over the years, we have kept up on the changing of the fabric.
Today was the day for a change. We have the hang of it now. We can whip this into shape in less than an hour. Not so the first time around. My husband had to measure, cut, and add the boards that go over the dresser drawers. Because, when you cover something with fabric, it gets thicker, and a drawer may not actually shut. So, artsy and handy that he was, he did not give up on our brilliant plan and instead added the boards so that they sit on the outside of the drawer, allowing the actual drawer to close. We added a little puffy batting to the inside of the fabric so it bumps out a bit from the boards, giving it a smooth, soft, girly finish.
The new fabric matches her bed because we bought an extra sheet set from her bedding and used it to cover the dresser. In the past, we would visit the fabric store and pick a complimentary accent color or design. This time, my daughter wanted it to match exactly. We all think it looks very cute for a soon-to-be-eleven-year-old-girl!!
7 comments:
It looks cute! Also, I think I see off to the side the very same American Girl doll bed and bedding that Katya has in her room.
Rachael ~ Oh yes, my girl is right there with your girl and Moscow Mom's daughters regarding her LOVE for anything AG!!! :)
Wow - what a neat idea! Super cute and good job on the craftiness!
Moscow Mom's mother also loves everything American Girl.
The bureau looks so cute. What a smart idea you and your husband had. You'll have to take pictures of the bedroom so we see the total effect.
This is such a fantastic idea! I am so stealing it for Andrew's room - his dresser is pretty beaten-up and this would do the trick. Thanks for posting!!!
Cute !!! I like it.
OK... we don't have that AG bed, but Rachael's Katya does! VERY cute what you guys did. I love the idea. I've found fabric to be a great decorating tool, too. I ordered curtains and used them to make screens/curtains for under my kids' loft beds so they match the bedspreds/quilt on the couch.
Oh, how I wish we had access to US fabric/craft stores! Then again, with my work schedule, I'd feel even more inadequate for not finding the time to be crafty...! Yup, counting my blessings where I find 'em, or looking at the glass as half full!
Post a Comment