Thursday, August 6, 2009

Presidential Treatment

Splash over heard that President Obama and his family purchased a Portuguese Water Dog last Spring and now Splash feels he is deserving of Presidential Treatment too. Take a look at Splash rafting on the waters of our camping trip with his owners; my parents. He looks like a mix of E.T. and a spoiled dog wrapped into one character. He is well cared for, and for his young age, well behaved too. I guess it is working. And, I especially love the picture of my mom with the umbrella because yes, she is as cute as a young Katherine Hepburn On Golden Pond.
Splash is also learning how to swim. A water dog should, after all. But it is an entire training process that my parents are learning from the breeder they purchased Splash from; it isn't just drop him in the lake and watch him go. He loves to retrieve his toy, but doesn't necessarily want to give it back to do it all over again. It was fun to watch my parents work together and encourage Splash to keep going. And, I think my parents look fantastic for (my dad said it was okay to say, but not sure about my mom, but *hint* she is years younger ... How's that, Mom?) Seventy!! When we were growing up, seventy was ... well, SEVENTY ... but now that my parent is there, it is actually very young. Thankfully.Both my children are taken by Splash. They love to be completely involved with his training (thanks, Mom and Dad ... I know not every idea is worthy, but you always make it seem so) and in return he gives the kids much love. He is a happy dog.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Cute, but I hate the feeling of a wet dog! Gross; but he looks like a dog that doesnt shed, that would at least help a bit.

Mary Kathryn said...

Beautiful! And who knew Splash would actually need swimming lessons? Love the story and the posting.

Rachael said...

Natalie hates the feeling of a wet dog? She lives on a lake! And has a great big dog! lol.

Tina in CT said...

Splash is adorable. I thought dogs came knowing how to swim. A new one for me.

Francie said...

You're mom is so cute with that umbrella!