Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So far minority view

I am probably the last one to read Twi*ight and I have no doubt I am in the minority in my thinking about the book. But I am okay with that. For a very long time, like since the time the book hit the popularity charts and it was the talk of all books, I told myself that I was not interested and that I would not read the book. I heard all the same comments that it is not about Vampires, that the Edward character does not prey on teen girls, or humans for that matter, and that it really is a well written book. However, I kept saying No to the book.

Then my friend (the same friend that persuaded me to get on Facebook after months of saying No, finally got me on Facebook) finally got me to read Twi*ight. At the beginning, I just didn't want to read it because of the whole Vampire storyline. I am a gal that has never liked Halloween; pumpkins, fun, and cute costumes are okay, but nothing even close to gross, scary, or on the darker side of characters. Why go there? Nothing apart of me says, "Fun". Again, I know I might be the minority about my feelings, but I am okay with that.

Further, I didn't want to read the book because my dear friend completely loved the book, and I was worried that I would not meet her expectations and wouldn't be able to carry on the love. That is just what happened. She quickly learned that I would not read the remaining three, so she filled me in. In great detail. Not a quick-get-to-the-point-what-happens-next-kinda way either. So I feel like I have read the remaining three. Still not thrilled.

So why did I not like the book? Many reasons ... but I will focus on just two main reasons.

First, I knew the book catered to young readers (teens) and I could not help but feel responsible and embarrassed at the same time that Bella was drawn to the bad boy image in Edward. What happened to "I am woman, here me roar" mentality and SuperWoman and being independent? I was looking for a role model for all those young readers that were flocking to the series. I didn't find it here. Bella held strong in the beginning and I was mad at Edward for manipulating. Then, Bella caved and allowed his manipulation and she never returned to the strong self that she was when she originally moved to Forks. So the rest of the book I was angry at Bella for giving-in.

Second, Edward is not as innocent and good as readers say; It's about a good Vampire. Is there really such a thing? The dude hunts and feasts on wild animals and manipulates a teenage girl. He was tempted over and over by Bella. In the scene in the wooded clearing that Edward took her too, where they were falling in love, I could not get past that this guy was just bad news. Justifying actions and relying on Bella to hold back his temptations. Bella forgave his actions and accepted his wrongdoings because of her lust for him. What message is the author sending to her teen readers?

Lastly, to continue my honesty, I will give a thumbs up to the author's descriptive writing style. I could feel Edward being cold to the touch, his dark eyes being creepily dark, his attitude mysterious. Yes, she got me there, but again, I was not drawn into the way she might have intended ... I was more like, "Yikes, get me outta here!" So for that, either way, the author succeeded. I give her credit for writing four books, I give her credit for her success and hard work. I give her credit for following her dreams. I just wish her writings were in line with role model behavior for her known target audience. For example, *arry *otter is fantasy addressing Good vs. Evil with all the mind twisting temptations, manipulations, and scary characters ... but in the end Good prevails. I can support that.

I am one to think my own opinion and be okay with standing on a lonely island. Therefore, feel free to comment only if you agree that we can disagree and we are both okay and have that right. Otherwise, don't waste typing because you will not convince me to change my mind; my dear friend has already tried.

*Using this symbol intentionally to stop word from being indexed by Google.

8 comments:

Rachael said...

I thought I would hate the books too. But, I surprised myself by enjoying them. I didn't like all the storylines and characters, but I did overall enjoy the series, enough to buy all four books and then pass them on to my sisters. I won't hold it against you!

BTW - did you ever get to read the 2nd No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency book yet? I'm curious to know if you like it!

Elle J said...

Rachael ~ I ended up buying the No. 1 Ladies Detective Series with my friend. She is reading it first, however, as she leaves for a vacation to Botswana next week!! I will start when she returns. So far she is enjoying the series. :)

Mary Kathryn said...

Aha! I was wondering about the * and glad to see the footnote about Google... I had not considered that before and it is a good idea.

I have not read any of the Twi... books for the same exact reasons as you. I am so glad for this review. I have read ALL of HP and love them dearly - the good versus evuil with good prevailing, as you said, is really what I am after.

Thanks for a great, well-thought-out review.

Rachael said...

She's going to Botswana? How cool is that! I'd love to go to Africa some day.

Elle J said...

Rachael ~ Yes, can you believe it?! She said there is a tourist-tour-type thing through the No.1 Detective Agency sites and she was thinking about looking into it. :) We'll see if she decides to go. The trip just kinda fell into their lap this summer. Very exciting. They have safaris lined up to attend and other sites. Husband-wife-daughter going for 10+ days. Can't wait to see her photos.

Anonymous said...

I don't think we will end up doing the specific tour of the No. 1 Detective Agency sites cause we added the extra day to see Victoria Falls in Zambia. But we are doing a general city tour of Gabarone so I am hoping I will see some of it. I am thoroughly enjoying the books and think you will like them as well. As for Twilight, I haven't read them yet for similar reasons!!!

Natalie said...

thats too bad you didnt like it. I loved them. You were right, however that it was written for a younger crowd, therefor there were sections that bored me, but I liked them overall! Not for everyone though. I was really curious what the whole rave was about so I too read them because someone talked me into it. looking for another good book to read, any suggestions? Everytime i go to the book isle at Target, I end up leaving because I cant pick one. I usually just read the books that are pushed on me or strongly recommended.

Elle J said...

Natalie ~ Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult is good (I like her "draws you in" kinda style of writing, so any of her books I enjoy) .. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls ... Still Alice by Lisa Genova ... Sarah's Keys by Tatiana de Rosnay ... just a few suggestions via my purchases through Target.