The invitation said the birthday girl parents would pick up the four girlfriends at 11:00 am, and a second wave of friends would join them for a swim party at the community pool at 5:00 pm. My girl was all for that, no questions asked, she was ready with her yes RSVP.
I, on the other hand, wanted more information. What would these four good friends be doing from 11 to 5? That seemed extraordinarily long. So I sent an email to the mom (also a friend of mine) and asked for the full scoop.
It started with this:






And then it will continue to a drive through our town picking up the other girlfriends, pedicures from a salon, at the birthday girl wishes the limo will stop at the grocery store where the girls will be dropped off to go inside with the mom to buy candy before stopping at the favorite Mexican restaurant in town for lunch. Then finally they will return to the birthday girl's house for a scavenger hunt game before settling into their pool clothes to leave again (but with out the limo) to meet up with the rest of the party goers. An hour of swim, pizza dinner and gifts after, and then finally home to say goodbye.A long, excited, perhaps exhaustive day is in store for my girl. My husband and I kept the surprise, but let me tell you, it was hard. I found myself back pedaling a few times once I started going down the road of filling her in before I remembered she had no clue. Talking generics is hard to do when you want to talk specifics to your own child. The reminder to Stick Together receives a confused look from your child when all she thinks she is doing is hanging out at her friends house. Or, the reminder to Don't forget your purse (which holds the new pay-as-you-go-phone-we-purchased-this-week-for-this-event-and-future-situations) gets an even more confused response of It'll be by my shoes at her house. Aww, a good lesson of letting my little bird fly all by herself today. I can't really give her many tips as she knows n-o-t-h-i-n-g about where she will be today. She is on her own.
Remembering the days when I ventured out to birthday parties and loved every minute of my time with girlfriends. Happy for my girl, happy we kept the surprise!
5 comments:
That's some birthday celebration. She must have had an exciting day and one she'll always remember.
But...sure hope your daughter won't be expecting something along the same line.
I agree ~ it surprised me to hear the details, but to see the girls' faces were priceless. And yes, both my kiddos know our limits and expectations regarding birthdays ... it's not close to this extravaganza but the smiles and fun are equal (in my opinion). :)
What a fantastic thing to do for a party! I bet they had a blast. And, your girl is beaming!
I may steal this idea and do something like this for Kristen's 13th this year. 13 is kind of a milestone. And, it's always hard to think of fun ideas for a January birthday. A limo ride to pick up her two best friends for a day of pampering would be really cool. Wonder how much that would set me back...probably TOO much in our small town.
Rachael ~ my girl just got home from her day of fun....exhausted. But as I was drying her hair from her shower she said, "That was truly the best birthday party ever." They went all-out for these girls. Pampered for sure.
This is awesome. The photo of her surprised is priceless. What a great idea for a party!
Post a Comment