Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sigh

It is frustrating when a situation occurs that changes the routine at a school that has worked brilliantly for the last five years (perhaps more, but we've only been attending for five). Up until mid-March the school allowed students to be picked up at the front of the school. Cars would line up along the sidewalk, kids would be dismissed to the appropriate car. Or, if the parent parked in a parking stall, then they would arrive in person to stand next to the Aid and the student would walk up, get checked off, and the parent/student would leave. It ran smooth, and it was quick.

Then one day, they changed it unannounced. They required all students to stand behind a line on the cement, all parents had to exit their vehicles and go up in person to request said student. Once approved by the Aid, the student could cross the line to the parent and they could leave. It was a zoo. Now while not all 1000 students (sadly, that is not a typo) get picked up daily, there are at least a hundred waiting (and realistically more). But I kept my mouth shut, thinking that they would work out the kinks. However, it never happened, and we left for summer with the same "behind the line pickup procedure".

Now with the start of this school year they are requiring both buildings to exit through Building A. Which means that my two kiddos who are in Building B must walk outside, across the kindergarten playground, into Building A, and walk down its hallway to the line of students congregating for pickup. Then, Aids will call individual students to come up front to be matched with their parent. Whereas, before all this change and procedure happened, they could walk out Building B and land right at the Aids feet by the sidewalk, ready to jump in my waiting car, and leave.

Chaos? Yes. Does it feel like an Auction with parents requesting student's, students waving in acknowledgment, Aids not knowing which one was Jack, Jacob, or John who just waved? Yes. Does it take three times as long? Yes. Can you tell I am frustrated? Yes.

So, I wrote an email last week to voice my concern to the Dean of Students. But it wasn't just a nag session, I do not believe in doing that (I do enough of that behind closed doors with only my good friends and family). In my email I voiced two possible solutions that they could try to help eliminate the chaos, frustration, and added wait time. I thought my suggestions were well planned, and workable.

I got no response.

Sigh.

Tomorrow I will try another approach and hand my pickup card to the Aid at exactly 3:40pm when the school is dismissed and see if she sticks with just my card until my children arrive, or if she gets an entire stack of pickup cards and has to play the Memory Game to sort out the chaos. Hmm. But I'm willing to see how this all works out until the end of the week.

All this time there have been no communication from the school, nothing to suggest that a parent custody battle flub up was made by the school giving the child to the wrong parent, nothing has been said why the change has been made from bad and then to worse in the procedure. However, if this was the case in sending a student home with the wrong custodian, let's have a system in place regarding those students, as they are in the minority at our school.

If you have a fantastic pickup procedure at your school, I'd love to hear it. I just might need to write another email and may need to have new ideas.

Sigh.

9 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Do the kids normally ride the bus or do you pick up each day? If you have to go through this on a daily basis, it would be very painful. Good luck on getting it changed.

My first reaction was that the school let the child go home with the wrong divorced parent.

Mary Kathryn said...

Ugh. It seems I always got "car rider duty" at any school where I was employed. It was usually a mess for the first couple of weeks until we got all the kinks worked out. I know it must be so frustrating for parents; hopefully your school will get things figured out quickly.

Rachael said...

Our kids' school uses numbers. Each family has a number and if you want to do a drive by pick-up, you have your number on you dash, the traffic guide calls it out on a little walkie-talkie and when a kid's number is called they are allowed to leave the gym to go out the curb. It's not perfect, but works fairly efficiently. At least we don't have to get out of the car! I don't suppose it accounts for custody things those, assuming they know the number...

Good luck! I'd follow up that email with a visit to the school office.

Elle J said...

Okay, Rachael, that might actually work! It would be no different than our current system of a card with your name and student's name. The card can still get into the wrong hands as they are not checking ID. Since typing the post, many of the moms I know have called to chat and we all want a solution, not just to complain. I'll add this as an option we suggest. :)

Elle J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elle J said...

Complete typo on that last one ... I'll try again. :) Yes, Tina, I do pick up daily because the bus ride is substantial in that we would not be able to get to the after-school activities the kids are involved with most days of the week.

Kathy said...

Yikes! Sounds very complicated and frustrating. Sorry, I don't really have a solution for you. When I taught first grade, each teacher was responsible for their own dismissal routine. All Kindegarten and 1st grade classes (8 in all) dismissed from the same door, and us teachers basically told our students that they couldnt' leave our side until we actually saw their pickup person (we had to get to know parents/older siblings very quickly so we could recognize them). It was still mass chaos and quite stressful for me to watch 20 kids while looking for their parents at the same time. I know the teachers in the older classes just took the kids to their door and let them go on their way.
BTW... that was in a "walking" school district. We didn't have a busing system so all kids either had to get picked up by car or else walk home.

Elle J said...

Kathy ~ Thanks for that idea too ... I don't see why we couldn't pickup from the classroom. Every class has an outside door, so adults wouldn't even have to access the building. The majority leave for the buses, so perhaps some teachers wouldn't even have a pickup student to wait for, and they certainly would know the adult picking up the student. I like that idea. :) Quick and efficient, my kinda procedure.

MoscowMom said...

Wow. What a mess! The roads near our kids' building are often a mess of wrongly parked cars/unintended one-way traffic, but nothing compared to that... Good luck getting heard!