Sunday, September 6, 2009

That kinda weekend

Nothing. Nothing to report. It is cloudy and raining this weekend and I like to think that my body is no longer used to that. I am sure the cold that I have been fighting, which I eventually lost, has something to do with my sluggish behavior and attitude, but the rain just adds a whole other twist to it. I want the sun to return as promised by Tuesday.

Shortly after I arrived downstairs this morning to kiss my kids who were already in the throws of their weekend morning routine (aka: television) my daughter screams from the comfy family room chair; A Coyote is by our fence! Sure enough, this tall and lanky creature with big eyes and black and gray fur was starring us down from the other side of our farm-style fence. As my son runs out of the room freaked out about our dog, and my daughter is hiding her face crying into the chair pillow, the Coyote casually walks further into the woods and disappears. Our dog was, thankfully, inside creating an added chaos as she was running circles barking, as if saying, "Let me get'em, let me get'em."

Creepy. I do not like that wild of an animal that close to my property. I prefer the raccoons, or bunnies, or opossums, or field mice over anything taller than my dog. In years past we have heard coyote pups barking in the wee hours of the morning, or I should saying screeching, in the woods behind us. That too is a creepy feeling as it sounds like a dog has been caught up in a limb and is struggling to be freed. Never, however, have we seen them right there on our property line. I hope this morning will be the one and only time.

Currently, my daughter is cleaning her room willingly (insert ~ she knows she is hosting a party at the end of the week and it must be cleaned), my son has chosen to bake our family some Banana Bread, my husband is working outside in the rain on our yard, and I ... I think I will curl up with my book and perhaps fall asleep while reading. Why not, it's that kinda weekend.

7 comments:

Tina in CT said...

That would freak me out too. I know they are in the woods as my neighbor has heard them in the past but I live on the inside of the circle. I did see one in the morning on the way to work about 10 minutes from my house.

Tamara and I saw a bear in my backyard 5 summers ago. My neighbor frequently sees them in her yard (same neighbor).

I would rather the wild animals stay deep in the woods but we humans are driving them from their habitats by all the building. It's sad.

I never leave my dog outside unless I am out with her, on the steps or at the door (in the winter). If I'm not outside, I keep talking to her so if there were an animals, they would hear me and be scared.

Glad that your hound was safely inside. Since she is a hunting breed, she probably would have gone after the coyote. Not good.

Sory that you are under the weather.

We are still having perfect Sept. CT weather - warm days with blue skies, puffy cotton clouds, sun and dry air with cold nights. I love this weather. It was 13 years ago when my daughter married in NH on the college where she and Chris graduated from and it was the exact same perfect weather.

Rest, read and feel better.

I spent the day reading magazines with the dog on my lap out on my deck but once the sun passed from over the deck, I needed a sweatshirt in the shade.

Rachael said...

My parents had a little dog get killed by a coyote. She went running barking after it, and they couldn't get her to come back, and then they heard a yelp. They never found her. It was pretty sad for them. Glad yours was inside!!!

Lori said...

yeah that's a little too close for comfort. I live in the country and at night you can hear them howling down by the river, but I've never seen one yet, thankfully. I do have a small dog that I worry will some day get snatched up by one if he wanders too far from home. Thankfully so far he has the good sense to stay close.

Elle J said...

I worry about my beagle ~ I wonder if she would ever back down and come running in? We do have a fence, but farm style ... three wood boards that go horizontal and then backed with wire so our dog can not escape. So you can see through it, and I wonder if the Coyote would be coaxed to climb/jump it if it saw Cora. Our dog is only outside when we are home, so now we are keeping a closer eye on the back when she is out.

Tina in CT said...

I worked with someone whose sister's dog was dragged off by a coyotte at 7:00 AM in the morning. She heard a horrible noise in her yard and ran to see what it was. Several coyottes were there. She ran by inside for something and came right back out. The coyottes and her dog were gone. The coyotte someone jumped the fence with her dog (mid sized). I never fogot that so never have my dog outside alone.

I'm sure a coyotte would go after a beagle as they aren't that large a dog. I also bet a beagle would go after a coyotte since a hound breed is a hunting breed.

Anonymous said...

My parents saw a coyote about a week before they lost their dog to a pack of them. They jumped the fence and came up on the back porch to get my parents poodle. I would be very careful with your dog as I am sure the coyote you saw could smell your dog's presence.

Anonymous said...

Look at what happened to Jessica Simpson's dog. It was taken by a coyote right in front of her.

http://perezhilton.com/2009-09-15-finding-miss-daisy