During our stay in San Antonio we visited The Alamo, documenting our names in the Guest Book along with 2.5 Million other guests who arrive during a year. What a gorgeous monument and park like setting. Right in the heart of the city, you feel like you have escaped and can relax among the greenery.While there is a strict no picture taking policy inside the three buildings; the Shrine (Church), the Long Barrack Museum, and the Gift Shop Museum, you were free to photograph outside. Davey Crockett's vest and guns were on display in The Shrine, if only one photo was allowed; I remember singing the Davey Crockett song when I was little and it was neat to finally see the "real man's gear".
Our hotel, the Hyatt Regency on the Riverwalk, was in prime location. The Riverwalk was on one side, and the Alamo on the other. The history we learned from our River Boat Tourguide was that no building is allowed to cast a shadow on The Alamo. Therefore, our hotel had to scrap their plans to build higher than eleven floors, and instead they had to build wider. In addition, they built a beautiful series of fountains and rivers going through their main floor lobby so for those walking the Riverwalk they could continue through the hotel to The Alamo. What a great idea!
2 comments:
I've never been...you are making me want to plan a trip. =)
Whenever I think of the Alamo I think of PeeWee Herman Big Adventure 'There's no basement in the Alamo? WHERE'S MY BIKE?' Dorky movie but as a kid I must have watched it a 100 times and that was a favorite line of ours.
Post a Comment