Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Fair

Every September our music teacher in elementary school would strum his guitar while we looked up to the over head projection of the lyrics to our communities Fair Theme Song. I still remember it; You can do it at a trot, you can do it at a gallop ... and if I type any more, I will sing it for the rest of the day, no thank you.

I think the magic of a fair through the eyes of a youngster are many. Here are just a few that I remember.

The smells ~ the greasy onion hamburgers, mixed with the sweetness of scones and elephant ears, mixed with manure, and sweat from teens because they've been running from one ride to the next all crazed-like; as if it would all disappear in five minutes.

The noises are magical too, the screeching of the gears of rides that twirl, and drop, and shake. The racket of the old-fashion wooden roller coaster. Balloons popping, ring toss clanking, screams of teens, and cries of little ones. Cows moo'ing, horses snorting, pigs squealing, chickens calling the day.

The sights are fantastic. The animals pulled me in every. single. year. I loved seeing how the cowgirls and cowboys reacted with their animals. I would daydream what it would be like to spend the night at the fair with your animal. Cooped up on the hay, blanket thrown over, not really getting good slumber, the excited dreams of the Blue Ribbon prize.

The touch of the fair is mixed with grime and dirt and germs ... but you are at the Fair! All the cleanliness manners go out the window and kids thoroughly enjoy the difference.

We took the kids to the Fair this weekend. My daughter and I are alike in that we are not big carnival-ride-type of people. My son used to be on our side, until he experienced the rides at Sea World. He jumped ship and swam over to be on my husband's team ... the guys that like thrill rides.

My daughter requested the Gondola Ride ... she and I rode in the same car and loved it. Just enough thrill and a chance to see the fair as we passed over the complex. And then she was done. Happy, but done. So, she and I did this:

While my husband and son did this:
We enjoyed our family day this past weekend at the Fair in the hot September sun! Still loving the Fair!!!

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Growing up the big event at the end of the summer was the big fair in the area I grew up in.

Those baby piglets are just adorable!

Natalie said...

that roller coaster looks like a death trap. The pigs are adorable! Pigs are my favorite animal.