Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Awww, the Riverwalk

Our August trip to Texas ended with a final night in San Antonio. We had heard only wonderful comments about the Riverwalk and we were anxious to see what the fuss was all about. And it proved to be fuss worthy. Shops line the river, riverboats take people to and from the shops, or you can walk the path and go over neat bridges to and from any restaurant or store. It is casual, yet hip, yet fancy, yet comfortable, yet kid friendly. It will be more brilliant when their renovation is complete; which will make the entire Riverwalk experience one hundred percent wheelchair and stroller accessible.

After our five hour drive from the Gulf of Mexico to San Antonio, a quick stroll through the Alamo before it closed, we finally headed over to our hotel; The Hyatt Regency Riverwalk. We were asked if we'd like to be upgraded to a River View Room; we agreed and it was a nice spot to end our week. Looking out at the river below, surrounded by gorgeous green trees and tall buildings. Peaceful.Photo a little out of order; bu we made the most of our last hours in San Antonio by ordering breakfast at the Rooftop Pool and taking a dip before we packed and showered to head home.
Camera phone photo of the boat ride around the Riverwalk.

We freshened up and got into our first-time-in-many-days-dinner-clothes-that-I-over-packed-and-only-used-on-the-last-evening attire. And then we headed straight for the Riverboat Tour. That was worth the 45 minutes to be captivated on the boat with an exceptional tourguide sharing all the secrets and known facts about the River and the City. It was a sunset cruise, so to speak, when we entered it was dusk, by the time we left, it was dark. It was gorgeous.We ate at this great Mexican Restaurant; Casa Rio. Where I embarrassed myself by asking the waitress for the enchilada sauce, of the Cheese Enchilada that I ordered, to be on the side. Yes, I did. Full disclosure, I tell ya. Our beautiful waitress of Mexican decent looked at me in shock, and offense. She told me, It would be like asking for a pizza with no sauce (which by the way, I have heard of, but I was not going to take it any further). Okay, but promise me it is not hot or spicy. She promised. She was right. And yes, I ate the entire plate it was so delicious!
For our lunch the next day we ate at Boudro's, another amazing restaurant. Since we were headed to the airport when we had finished and didn't want to be overstuffed while flying the rest of the day and night to get home, we ordered some light appetizers to share as a family. Yum! It was blazing hot and we had been walking all morning in and out of shops, so we were parched. We all ordered a Limeade and well, full disclosure once again, I had multiple and didn't care that each fill up was a charge. It was so refreshing.

Riverwalk. A must when visiting San Antonio. With kids who are only tunneled into shops that sold cool souvenirs, a full 24 hours is sufficient. For adults who want to take in all the great food and explore the shops, then extend your stay. It will not be a waste of time either way.

5 comments:

Tina in CT said...

Looks like another great time on your Texas vacation.

I have two friends that both live there. One day I'll get to visit them.

Rachael said...

You make San Antonio sound very appealing! I want to go there now! Better yet...I want YOU to plan my next vacation itinerary!

Elle J said...

Rachael ~ send me your email and I will send you back the itinerary that we used. :)

Mary Kathryn said...

Love it! Glad you had a good time there.

Tina in CT said...

Email Moscow Mom as she lived there the first year she was out of grad school.