Thursday, September 17, 2009

Science Tasks

On the first day of school my daughter's classroom was already putting their brains to science with a neat experiment. My girl recreated it at home over the weekend and here are the simple directions.

Take a fresh egg; either white or brown
Put it in a Mason Jar with a lid that will close tightly
Add Water and Vinegar
Seal the jar with the lid for 24-72 hours.

How much water and vinegar? I think it doesn't really matter because my girl started with one cup of each, but then her little brother randomly added more vinegar on top of that before they closed the lid. So much for accuracy, but the experiment was still a success.

You will begin to notice that over the course of the day(s) the egg shell will begin to peel away and create a bubbly film on top of the water. Eventually all the shell will be off the egg, leaving the round egg in place. Once completed, carefully open the jar. Carefully take out the egg and you will find it rubbery. It feels like a bouncy ball. You can bounce the egg from a short distance, but we only did this in our sink. It can break, and when it does, the egg inside looks like any fresh egg when cracked open.

Pretty neat!!

On an unrelated side note, but somewhat science like, my children baked homemade chocolate chip cookies one Saturday of late. All by themselves. My husband was out, I was doing chores upstairs, they were baking. Yum! They came up with a plate of cookies and milk for me to do a little taste testing.

My daughter's cookies were noticeably soft and gooey.

My son's cookies were noticeably hard and crunchy.

They used the same batter, the same oven temp, and the cookie sheets were in the oven for the same duration. Why the difference?

My daughter "slammed" her cookie tray on the kitchen counter straight out of the oven. My son gently placed his cookie tray on the kitchen counter.

Many, many blog posts ago on a friend's blog (perhaps it was YOU, I honestly do not remember which one) I remember reading about the slamming of the cookie tray as the key to soft and gooey cookies.

The kids tested it.

They agree.

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I'll have to remember that egg experiment to do with the girls next summer when they are here.

Rachael said...

My sister Francie does that when she bakes cookies! I wonder if she ever blogged about that. I bet that's where you read it!

How cool about the egg. We'll have to try that. They kids would get a kick out of it.