Where do I begin? Chronologically? My favorites? The cutest photos? There is no good answer as we enjoyed every hour of our fun, energized vacation. Now I am back running full speed towards school starting in exactly one week. I just need to pick a starting point and start writing. So I will.
One of the first things that we noticed while in Texas was the humidity, and then we later learned that the humidity was not actually "that high", considering that they are experiencing a drought and have been rainless for months. But to us, when our sunglasses and camera lens fogs over as soon as it exits the case, we can point to humidity. There was not an ounce of fog on the Gulf of Mexico, unlike what this photo makes it appear. It was our lens fogged over from the heat.

The plane landed in San Antonio and after two days at Sea World we drove to the Gulf of Mexico and stayed two nights at South Padre Island, the southern most tip of the Texas Coast before it runs into Mexico. It was beautiful!! We have been to the Pacific Ocean wearing shorts and tanks, but one does not venture far into that water. So I packed thinking
We'll wear this and this at the beach (tanks and shorts) visualizing wading up to our knees at the most into the water. But when temps soar into the low 100's, the
white sand is hot to the touch, and the water is shallow enough to be bath water temp, we were forced to wear suits all day, showering just before dinner, to change into
this and this.

Our children have never used any water toy in ocean water before, and my husband knew it was a must for the Gulf of Mexico. We purchased a wave board for $15 at the grocery store, knowing that we would donate it to the next family at the beach upon our departure. The wave board proved to be a hit for our children (and the next family too). My husband found an abandoned circle floatie while on his sunrise walk on the beach. The kids finally got the hang of how to catch a wave and let it pull them to shore. A couple of times the kids tasted salt water as they tumbled off, but for the most part they stayed on board.


Sand castle building was not a high priority, which was something different from ocean trips past. We much preferred the water and water toys.

We rented some beach lounge chairs and umbrella from our hotel and enjoyed an entire day relaxing on the beach, ordering lunch service, and being beach bums. It was truly relaxing! While the drive from San Antonio was lacking in excitement (five hours of a disappointing n-o-t-h-i-n-g), we would venture South again to South Padre Island.
Gorgeous. Slow paced. Peaceful. Perfect.
4 comments:
We lived in McAllen for 3 years and SPI was our major beach hangout. Very HOT but really relaxed and fun, as you said. I can't believe you and your family were just in our old neck of the woods! Small world.
Mary Kathryn ~ Oh my goodness!! We were so close to your old place; if we took a wrong turn through Harlingen, we would have bumped into your town. :)
Not much to see on route 37 & 77 ... we were expecting at least cattle ranches and cowboys. Sad we didn't see anything but 20 foot trees and dirt. :)
Here is the burning question of our family ... why is there a Homeland Security Boarder Patrol Crossing going North on 77 about two hours away from Mexico in the middle of nowhere?? So confused.
It IS crazy, huh? My (and my husband's) best answer to this is that there are only two interstates heading North out of the Rio Grande Valley and we just always figured those checkpoints (there is one at Falfurrias on I83, as well) were far enough North to catch unsuspecting illegals or maybe be a last-ditch effort to get anyone who slipped through the cracks closer to the border.
And btw, speaking of Harlingen, I drove through there WEEKLY on my way to UT-Brownsville (I taught a couple of adjunct music ed classes there). Again, small world! I was also stopped once in San Benito for a speeding ticket, although I suppose that's another story altogether.
Mary Kathryn ~ thanks for the thoughts about the boarder patrol. I am sure you are correct. I wonder how much the word has spread that the check point is there and if it is really helping.
I liked the towns closer to SPI, I wish we had gone through your exact town. That would have been fun. :)
Do you miss TX?
Post a Comment