The new addition to the inside of my pantry door, next to the substitution food list (*keeping reading), is the daily schedule for both children. My children are involved in individual-type of sports; dance and Tae Kwon Do, in addition to individual lessons such as piano, flute and drums. The need to practice outside of class for all of these activities is important to their success. In addition, study time for academics is a daily routine too.
Which got me thinking: given that the kids are gone for seven hours, five days a week, and are in bed at a decent hour, what remains are six hours of awake time to travel to, from and complete their lessons, manage their homework, and practice at home (oh, and eat and shower, and find time for some fun).
Thus the schedule. The days the kids go to lessons, they do not need to practice. So that eliminated two days for my son's TKD, one day for my daughter's dance, two days for flute, one day for piano and drums. Homework is a daily routine; reading, math, writing and spelling. But Monday through Friday certain items have to be done in the morning, while other items get to be their choice on when to complete prior to 8pm.
Example; I do best giving spelling words while I am making lunch, so Spelling is an AM responsiblity. Versus, what time they plan to fit in their reading is their choice. But then we also have to figure out when my daughter will play the flute and piano, versus my son playing the drums. And we need to take into account the weekends, when the entire schedule goes crazy, but at least the kids are aware prior to the weekend what is expected of them. Time management. Are you just as tired/bored as I was thinking about this?
In the end, we got the schedule. The kids know how to read it, they follow it, nobody has to think too hard on a daily basis. Keeping all the balls in the air just got easier. LOVE it.
*Substitution Food List: My son had a history in second grade of "Ugh, not my favorite." when it came to dinner time eating. It was more battle than not to get him to eat what was placed before him, and to tell you the truth, it was getting to be just a little more than what I could handle. So, one evening early in the summer I had had enough. And that is when my brilliant husband volunteered this thought and saved my world.
Don't like the main dish? Then find an item off the substitution list posted on the inside of the pantry door and make it yourself. The list of five protein based items are a staple that I always have on hand: Peanut Butter Sandwich, Swiss Cheese slices, Yogurt, Deli Meats, Eggs/Oatmeal. My children sat down with me to help create the list and agreed to the new system.
Guess what? My son has yet to go to the substitution list ... and I have not changed my menus. A-ha! I think it was just a battle of the wills. And I consider myself the winner.
6 comments:
Oh, how it brings back memories. Since my daughter went to a private school in the next town, she had to be driven to and from school. Add in her figure skating and it was a busy schedule. Her schedule is still crazy as a working mom.
As for being a picky eater, we had that too. Now she's a gourmet cook.
I think most of our parenting issues come from a lack of being prepared. You have proven that you are prepared and that solves a lot of the problems.
I like the sub. list. Good idea.
oh man, I really love my easy life. Forgive me for EVER complaining! I have it too good, for sure. All I have to worry about it me, and the pets and sometimes Adam, he is pretty self-sufficient now.
Wow, you are such an organized mom! I'm impressed :)
Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I will continue to read yours!
Wow, you are such an organized mom! I'm impressed :)
Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog. I will continue to read yours!
You are such a great mom.
Post a Comment