Sunday, March 1, 2009

We got the blues

Seems like every year during my daughter's ballet coaching classes she misses some due to illness. So far this year we have been going strong and healthy, adding extra classes every week, practicing diligently on non-class days. And then we got the blues.

By the time class had ended on Friday night, she had a dry cough. By morning, her cough went more congested. By afternoon, her voice had changed to a more laryngitis tone. She slept and watched television with her dad, while my son and I ventured to the mall for the slew of March birthdays we are facing. By evening, she had a temp.

She will be missing school tomorrow (I am an avid believer in the 24 hour fever free rule, and she still has a temp). And the bummer about skipping tomorrow is that it is Read Across America Day in honor of Dr. Seuss. My daughter was scheduled to read a picture book to lower grade levels during the day. She had chosen Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes and had practiced her voices and dramatic style for her audition last week with the Dean of Students. She was so excited to be chosen and was looking forward to her day. However, we will not be saying Dr. Seuss' name in our house, nor eating green eggs and ham, to lesson the impact of her unfortunate day off. Pajamas are allowed in school tomorrow, but her pajamas will only get to go as far as our couch.

While my son and husband are at church today, I whipped into tornado mode and washed sheets, towels, clothes, cleaned bathrooms, scrubbed door knobs, etc, etc, while my daughter zonked on the couch with her best therapy ~ Cora. Some windows, not in her path, are open and a yummy Yankee Candle is lit.

Now, despite the lingering fever, I feel like my less germ-impacted house is ready for her recovery.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog~ I hope you little one is well soon! I laughed about your post... "tornado mode" I do the same thing after someone has been sick and is on the mend... love to clean everything in hopes no one else will get sick:)