I swung into the library this weekend to stack up on new books for my girl. I also got to pick up the book Watership Down which had been on hold for myself. On Sunday, while my husband and my son were off at a family birthday party, my daughter and I snuggled on top of my bed and read our books, passing the time for that fever to break. Minus the fact that there was a small, snowy blizzard that swept across our window, it was a pleasant, quiet afternoon.
However, we did not get too far in our reading, both opting to take a nap within 30 minutes. We woke two hours later, and as I lay looking at my daughter, well rested and so angelic looking, she smiled and said, "Momma, what is your book about?" I replied, "Well, I'm only on page 28, but so far it is about rabbits that talk."
Laughter is the best medicine, right? My daughter broke out into gut-laughter, the kind where you wonder when the kid is going to breathe. She thought it was so funny that I would be reading about rabbits who talk, as opposed to the last book I read about Alzheimer's, the Holocaust before that, and God before that. I laughed with her and asked, "Okay, Smarty, what is your book about?" She smirked and said, "About frogs who used to be humans!"
Loving my girl. Loving my book too; Watership Down is very entertaining and a good escape. Thanks, MK, for the recommendation. A good one for Spring!
4 comments:
How funny. Glad you are liking it so far. A cousin of mine insists it is an animal-lover's version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that makes sense to me now. I really do believe it is all about class systems, socialism, religion, and the like. At the time I read it, though, I just didn't know or bother to think any deeper than cheering on those poor rabbits in all their struggles! You'll have to update when you are finished; I promise my feelings won't be hurt if you don't enjoy it. :O)
Nothing like a good nap a good book and a good laugh. Although I'm a bit skeptical about the books you and your daughter picked! Sounds kind of strange.
Smiles to Lori!! :) Agree, they do sound strange, but honestly they are fun books!
Your daughter's comment is so funny! I could just imagine her tone and smirk based on your writing. :-)
Post a Comment