Friday, March 13, 2009

Can't give up

My daughter had a setback in her recovery of pneumonia this week; returning to the doctor yesterday found a double ear infection. Blah, blah, blah, she was put on a different formula of antibiotic for the next ten days. My daughter returned to sleep rather than school yesterday and today.

As I was cleaning up the dishes after dinner this evening, my daughter and I were talking about her upcoming ballet exam next Friday. I shared my setback story when I was in college:

I remember I had given myself a goal to accomplish in college. I wanted to graduate with honors and I worked hard in every class, every semester, every year. And then I got hit with a combo of Strep and Mono during Spring Semester and I was out for a month, sleeping at my parents house, not attending any classes, barely keeping up with my assignments. I struggled a lot that semester but I kept thinking about my goal. I was able to keep going; not dropping the semester and starting over. By the time the finals were taken, I was still exhausted, but when I got the grade report that summer, I found that I had scored my highest semesters GPA ever! I was shocked, and proud!! And yes, I graduated early with Honors.

My daughter's eyes twinkled and she smiled confidently when my story was over. I could sense her energy and drive to not be defeated with her ballet. Sure, the last two weeks of illness and missing classes is a setback for her, but it was also the hand that she was dealt. She has a choice to make; either give up and blame the illness, or attack practicing as best and as hard as she can for the next six days. She and I both know that her inner drive is very strong and that she is not one to give up. I am hopeful that when she shows up next Friday for her exam, she will be energized and prepared for a great day.

Then I sat down after the kitchen was cleaned and pondered what I was going to blog about today. I checked my post from March 13, 2008, and ironically this was my writing.

1 comment:

MoscowMom said...

Ohh... Sending her positive thoughts! You're right -- she has worked for a whole year. Some missed time doesn't mean she can't do it!