Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Zonk!

After just three days of hanging out with my girl with a fever and horrid cough, my husband and I made an intuitive decision to make a doctor's visit today. I like and trust our pediatrician, and the nursing staff, but in the past, more times than not, I have jumped the gun and taken them in too early, to just receive a "wait it out" answer. And we do, and they heal, and everything is fine. I really thought I would hear the same this morning, since three days really isn't that major of a deal. I thought I was calling more out of frustration and impatience, than actually being right.

I think the icing on the cake, however, for this story was her high fever that would not lower below 102.5 with even over the counter medication; and it was more consistent with 104-105. Combined with the fact her cough sounded like a smoker's cough, and she was not sleeping consistently as a result, I think easily paved the way for our attention. But I was still skeptical of my choice as I drove into the city and she sat chattering in the backseat like we were headed for the mall.

The Flu test came back negative, good. The xray of her chest came back as Pneumonia!! Shock. This time our parent-gut was true and we dialed that phone this morning with good reason. She is now stocked up on antibiotics and hopefully we can go back to a good night's sleep shortly.

We are ready to Zonk!

3 comments:

crispy said...

Poor thing. Hope she bounces back quick.

Rachael said...

Poor kid! Hope all is well in your house soon.

I do the same thing, as far as never knowing when to take them to the doctor! (And I AM a doctor.) Usually, I think, oh they're fine, it'll pass. Then, my husband will make me take them in and it will be double ear infection or something. He significantly doubts that I took a peds rotation! :)

Elle J said...

Rachael ~ that made me feel better about my lack of medical know-how and made me laugh!! :)