I got what I had been wishing. I got the next wire size when I had my orthodontic adjustment yesterday. This is my first real adjustment since they were placed in February. I still think my doctor feels my teeth move slower than molasses, but I'm glad I finally passed this round.But ... Ouch! My jaw feels like I hit it full force on a cement sidewalk. As I'm reliving the pain all over again from the first application of the braces, I thought of four tips I need to remind myself should my children ever wear braces under my roof. They are:
*Schedule adjustments for the last appointment of the day. The tightening does not hurt until about the eighth hour, which would get them past dinner and into bed. With ibuprofen I would think they'd be able to sleep off the pain.
*Do not be concerned about a well balanced diet for a few days and just cater to soft foods. For example, unlike my husband's mom, do not accidentally serve spare ribs on the first day.
*Keep the house quite due to headache.
*If they complain that the thingy which hangs down to attach future rubber bands to, has literally poked a small hole in their cheek and then that thingy gets stuck in that hole; that it can be easily bent by the doctor so it no longer happens. They do not have to suffer for three weeks like their mother and wear white gunky wax 24/7 to cover the pain, the hole, the freak out.
With complete certainty, I will have fresh memories of braces if it comes time for my children to endure the same.
*self photo via camera phone, compliments of my son
2 comments:
Thanks for your nice comments on my blog! Yours was the first, and I was sure I'd be flamed for not getting more worked up over the whole hitting/(presumably) lying thing. Your sweet comment actually made me teary-eyed! Blog pals are the best!
I've toyed with getting braces myself for years. I don't do headaches well though. Thanks for reinforcing my content with my crooked teeth! :) (Yours ARE looking nice, though!)
I, too, have considered braces for myself. Your posting might just make me think a little harder about actually going ahead and doing it. And the pic is so sweet, especially knowing your son took it. Much better than I could do with a phone.
Post a Comment