Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June!

I can tell you when it is June without even looking at the calendar. And it is not due to the glorious sunny weather either, as that has yet to shine. I know it is June because my daughter is in the throws of preparing for her dance studio's big show recital appearing in two short weeks.

We are now all about dress rehearsals, consisting of the entire show being performed in front of the studio director in one night, three times before show day. My daughter is in two of the three Acts in this year's performance of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Therefore, the rehearsals have to start by 3:15 in order to be completed by a reasonable hour of 9:30pm.

With this schedule, it means that my sweetie has to be pulled out of school early three times in two weeks in order to be in costume and have her hair pulled into a meticulous bun by rehearsal time.

It also means sack dinners that she can squeeze in for energy while wearing a coat and a towel draped around her lap; imagine the odds of the spill factor in a one of a kind, expensive, no replacement available costume. The mom's remaining at the studio just wince and look away when a dancer chooses to drink a cola and eat a taco dressed with no shield. If only her mother was watching ...

My daughter has mastered the quick change between Acts from one costume to the next, while learning how to put all the stripped off costume parts back into her own garment bag. It is amazing how this studio has complete control over these mob of girls who can change, sort, and pick up after themselves so everyone goes home with the correct clothing . I can't get my chick to pick up the clothes off her bedroom floor and dump them into a basket a few yards away. I guess I need a blue room, energetic music, and Miss Sandy's British accent to carry the threat.

But I also know it is June because the sewing basket is staring me in the face. These beautiful, custom sized costumes always! need something! to be tucked, pinned, altered ... talk about stress. My sweetie flutters her lashes at me, a sweet smile on her face, and says, "Are you ready, Mom?" Such confidence in her sewing illiterate mother. She does great with sewing, however, thanks to both her Grandmothers. Soon she will be able to alter her own costumes (and I know she'll love every second of it and I will too!).

It is June. I know it is June.

No comments: