A sunny day was yesterday and I was hosing off my driveway, sprucing it up for our 4th of July block party. The kids were riding their bikes and chasing the water running in the street gutter. Just the three of us out. Peaceful.
Until I heard the rumble of a dirt bike, that classic sound of ... well, how do you type the description of a dirt bike? The awful high-pitched whirl of Rrrrrhhh! Something like that? Basically, I find dirt bikes to be extremely loud and obnoxious. That was the sound we were listening to when I felt a jolt in my gut that told me this was something to be cautious about. I turned toward my kids in the cul de sac and yelled for them to just get on the sidewalk. We could see nothing, but heard this bike getting closer and it just sounded wild.
As soon as the kids had cleared to the lawn, the dirt bike rounded the corner barreling onto our street being pursued by a State Patrol Motorcycle Officer who had his lights on, but no siren. Within seconds the illegal bike was down our street, over the curb, and jumping onto the trail that leads mysteriously between two houses at the end of the cul de sac where we live. He had to have known previously about this trail, a newbie to the block would hardly notice it. Hearing the bike travel down the path and onto the new neighborhood below, I was furious.
My kids frozen in time, shocked. The Officer pulled his rather large bike around to where I was standing:
Officer: Do you know that kid, has he come down here before?
Me: No, but in summer's past we've had issues with dirt bikes coming up that trail.
Officer: I believe it.
Thinking that he should really be on his way to catching this guy rather than chit-chatty with me....
Me: You know, that leads to the new neighborhood below.
Officer (with a smirk): Yeah, but I can't get my bike down there.
Still thinking he must get on with the chase ...
Me: The road out here leads around.
Officer: Oh, he's long gone.
Amazed this Officer's blood is not boiling as hot as mine ...
Me: Well, do you need to call for back up?
Officer (completely calm): We already did. They'll get him.
Adamant to do my part after the biker could have easily careened into that tree, that bush, that car, those kids!
Me: I'll call 9-1-1 if we see him again.
And once again, a random circumstance putting me back into the Traveling Path of 9-1-1.
(thoughts to self: Looking back, I'm sure this grey haired senior officer was appreciative of this young chick's suggestion, uh actually telling, him how to perform his duties. Oops, but it just came out that way.)
No comments:
Post a Comment