Swarming thoughts during a busy day call for a Ten Bit post.
*I am finding myself to be a social butterfly lately and I need to control my wings. While I enjoy social time, there is a downside to all the times I am out of the house during the hours of 9 and 4. While my home projects are getting done, they are not getting done to a quality that I would prefer. Nor am I finding me time to do projects that make me smile. I vowed October to be a heavy ME Project month - and well - it's already the 12th and I only made a very tiny dent on that project.
*I like Greek food. I had a lunch date with my college BFF today at a Greek Restaurant that we seem to gravitate toward when we gather for lunch. Hummus and warm pita's are my favorite appetizer, and today I had a yummy Feta Sandwich. Nice! Just do not count carbs.
*My daughter is nearing her first social dance in Middle School this Friday. While they do not go with a date (which wouldn't happen even if that was the school's idea), just the thought of the dance makes me want to close my eyes, huddle under the covers, and sleep until she is old enough ... like 33. Not really, but kinda. I don't want her to grow up too fast, regardless of the strong head on her shoulders and positive moral seeds in her pocket.
*A conversation between my friend and I got me thinking on the drive home about a particular incident that happened to me during my High School years. We were discussing kids going to over night camp, or friend's sleepovers. Adult perspectives are so different than kid perspectives. I didn't think twice about going across the state during a High School sanctioned Choir trip, staying with two friends in a complete strangers house as part of our "field trip." Really? Like, what were my parents thinking five hours away? The house we were paired with did not have a mom and dad. Just a dad and his teenage daughter. We had never met them, and back then, not so sure they did background checks on parent volunteers. Thankfully, that is where the story ends.
*My daughter's homework is a lot!!! Enough said.
*My dog is going Fall-crazy. There is something living in our back woods and I wish it would just hibernate already. She only barks when there is a mystery animal on the other side of the fence. Otherwise, she is a quiet beagle. Unfortunately, two nights ago we found that this little critter will not be hibernating. The mystery animal shown it's face. While my dog was kenneled up in our family room for bed, a black cat came onto our back porch and peaked in. Oops. Wrong house. So grateful Cora was sleeping, otherwise, that would have been a very long night, as I know she would not have left the idea alone that a cat had been on her territory.
Okay, so I only got to Six Bits - and now I am off and running again for our Tuesday routine. But before I do, I am going to the calendar to schedule that Me Time!!!
4 comments:
Middle school dances seem so long ago when my daughter was going to them at her school. I really never gave them another thought as it was part of middle school and a very well chaperoned school activity. I think they ended at 10:00 and her father picked her up.
Overnight camp - one of my favorite childhood memories. I went to a wonderful camp for the month of August and back then it was just girls. I started the summer before 6th grade. My daughter started going to Girl Scout overnight camp with her friend when she was 7. She loved it.
I can parallel your choir trip to when my daughter used to go to Lake Placid each summer to skate for two weeks at the Olympic Ice Center. She stayed in a skating dorm run by an older couple that were former national champions. I went on the recommendation of my daughter figure skating pro here in CT as she knew them personally from her younger skating days. Once I got there and met them, saw the village (full of middle and high school girls all there for skating) and the ice program, I was comfortable. Wish we could have afforded to have her stay for the whole summer as she just loved it.
Kids do need to fly. We give them a solid, loving foundation and then cross our fingers. My mother told me that's what she felt when I went off to college.
Your kids sound very sensible and they'll do well.
Lunch with your college BFF - what a great day. Glad you enjoyed yourselves and the yummy meal.
Projects - I still need to sand, stain and urethane my new windows on the inside that were installed over 10 years ago. As I got older, I went from always having to do everything to Scarlet O'Hara's there's always tomorrow. Age will do that.
My dog is a real barker and every one of my dachshunds has been the same. Liesel is my 3rd one. We can be on the couch watching a movie and she'll jump down and run into the kitchen barking like crazy. She probably heard or smelled an animal outside. You're lucky Cora is not a real barker. I'm sure my neighbors hate my dog. I do not leave her outside because of it. She's only out if I am with her. I am also afraid of a large dog coming into the yard and attacking her or a coyotte (there are in the woods).
Boy, this comment has rambled on as I watch Dancing With The Stars.
Glad it wasn't lost.
Typo: Should be "they're in the woods".
Your HS story reminded me of a HS story. When I took driver's ed, with 2 of my girlfriends, the teacher (single male, wore often wore things like red leather pants - strange, even for the 80's, for a "grown-up") took us 3 girls for a drive, and we made a stop so he could show us his house. He had a loft with animal fur covers on his bed. (Ewww.) But thankfully that is where the story ends too - we looked, we left. The grown-up parent me shudders to think of my teenage naivete in that story though.
Me time sounds good. Hope you find some this month. =)
Rachael!!! That is amazing - you have to think that he was up to something in his mind - grateful he didn't pursue and that you three were smart (even without knowing it). I shutter about what stories we'll read on our kids' blogs in twenty years. What could it possibly be where I either didn't know until reading because the kids didn't think to tell me because of their naivety, or that I was naive to start!
Post a Comment