Sunday, October 17, 2010

Amazing people

If someone were to ask me what I would want to do in life if I had no children and no husband, I would have an answer ready. I add the qualifier "if no husband and children" because to accomplish my answer would take more time than an average working mom could handle. I would want to travel the world and interview people.

I am not necessarily talking about famous people. Just people. My world beats better when I learn about others. I am not one to open up freely and share my life story or my thoughts and ideas to just anyone, so it is ironic that I would want others to do that for me. But in that what if world that is exactly what I would want to do. If they would open up and share; I would be the one to listen.

Fascinated. What makes people the way they are, what is their history that got them to today, what are their hopes and dreams for tomorrow. I really feel that every person has a story to tell. I want to be the one to hear them all.

In some regards I get that through blogging; learning about others. Granted, it is one dimensional in that I can't ask all the questions swirling around my head after reading one's post, but at least I get a glimpse of who they are and what they are doing in life. Perhaps some would argue that I am naive to think that they are telling the truth, but I never look at it that way. It is their story - it would be no different than if I were in person hearing it for the first time. It is still intriguing.

And speaking of intriguing - there is a young woman that literally gave up e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g to follow her heart to Uganda. And when I mean she gave it all up, she literally did. She is living in her sister's basement, taking care of her nephew and niece while she preps and fundraises her way to Uganda. She took her first mission trip this past summer. Since then she has raised enough funds to open a school, sponsored many children to attend, created a source of healthy water for the village, and will be returning in weeks as the new Head Master of said school. Imagine. One day working in America, the next selling it all, the next moving to Uganda. Just like that.

She would be the kind of woman that I would want to sit down - in her new Ugandan house - over a cup of tea, and hear her entire life story. To have her start at the beginning and complete it to current day. I am fascinated. People fascinate me. All people fascinate me.

I have a husband and children. I could not take on a full time travel gig to interview all the people that I would wish - but blogging helps put small pieces together for me to settle my craving to know about our world of people. Sometimes it feels like my what if world is happening now.

*Note to self and fellow blog readers - it occurred to me through a verbal comment, that I did not mention how I would not change my current life for the what if scenario life mentioned above. I finished the post with out mentioning that, simply because I was talking about a hypothetical situation. I would be heartbroken not be married to my wonderful husband, being honored to mom my amazing children, and all that goes with my life as my real life is very fulfilling.  

4 comments:

Tina in CT said...

You'd be great at that but you met your husband, fell in love,married and have your children. You have a wonderful family and life.

How did you come across the woman that you blogged about?

Elle J said...

Tina- back in May a mutual Facebook friend had posted about her - the two of them grew up in the same school/town - I was hooked in knowing her story.

Christie said...

Oh, sister. Message me your email address and I will add you to the private blog I'm about to start. Then you'll know "the rest of the story" on how I got to where I am today :) It's going to be raw and it's going to be soooo hard for me to write. So hard, in fact, that I've given God excuses like "my nails are too long" (as if He couldn't see how terrified I am). But He keeps putting little reminders in my life. Little reminders like YOU. So I would like you to read if you wish :) Love you, sweet friend.

Rachael said...

I love your perspective, and I completely get what you are saying about the alternate reality hypothetical. I understood without you having to add the p.s. (I've often thought I'd have practiced rural, third world medicine.)