Ever have those moments when you want to remember something current day, because you want to check back in the future of how it all turns out? This is one of those moments.
Any parent would be proud of a son or daughter who takes the time to help others. Not because any other adult told them to do it, or showed them how life is supposed to happen by leading through example. Proud because when that son or daughter is just being himself or herself, and the right answers just comes forth automatically. That is the true definition of proud to me.
My son was asked to be a first week of school leader to some new kids at school. I remember I posted a writing about his first day of school being asked to chaperon the new kids. Well, all of the newbies except one have left the nest and found other friends. But one remains. He has yet to find "other" friends.
I met his parents by accident at the Open House a few weeks ago. They leaned across the table and introduced themselves and asked if I was the mother of XYZ. I said yes as they proceeded to tell me how highly their son thought of my son. That my son has really taken their son under his wings and they were grateful. Wow, that was nice to hear.
But what is even nicer is hearing the story of my son. Without my spurring on of the conversation he shared that the new one follows him around. Plays with my son's friends. Doesn't leave their side. Part of the conversation suggests that he may need special attention. I get the impression he doesn't fit in easily with others. There are some examples that my son shares that lead us both to believe that fitting in with classmates and teacher's wishes is hard for this student.
So instead of trying to get rid of him, instead of trying to make the classmate purposefully leave on his own, instead of making a fuss and making it hard for this student, my son has accepted him. He shares some insight on the do's and do not's of the playground and classroom.
My son suggested to his new friend that maybe he try running during the soccer game with out putting both hands in his pants pockets. Leave them out so he's ready to go faster and support himself in case he falls amongst all the action (and behind the scenes, not get teased by the other kids). My son suggested to this new friend that he not slam the tether-ball into his opponents face, but to wait until his opponent gets out of the way to start the game. He suggested that he just turn around in Music class, so the teacher stops getting annoyed.
It's the little things that are making a nice impact for other kids on the playground, the teachers in the classroom, and for the newbie. My son doesn't want the new kid to get hurt, or teased, or challenged, or be lonely. My son, on his own, just wants every one to be included ... and liked.
I hope it makes a difference. I hope my son continues sharing his friendship to others throughout his life. I wonder if it will change.
3 comments:
It is something you and your husband can be very proud of. It shows that your son is a very caring person and sensitive of other's feelings. Since he is doing this in middle school, it will stay with him as he grows up I'm sure.
How thoughtful of him to be considerate of this boy's newness and to offer constructive suggestions.
this is not surprising to me, your kids kick ass at being cool, nice AND cute ! :)
Aww, Thanks, Willow!!!
Post a Comment