Monday, October 18, 2010

Cabins of Yellowstone

I booked our Yellowstone vacation eight months before travel and I still did not receive all accomodations that I was expecting. We missed a stay at Old Faithful. For those wishing to travel by car and stay in a hotel, I offer this tip: book early and check out the cabins.

The cabins are part of the hotel landmark, you have access to house keeping and cafes. The only difference is that you are in stand alone rooms, versus connected to your neighbor via a hallway. While the cabins are small with no television or telephone, they do have running water, bathrooms (specific units, not all), and electricty.  We were so pleased with the two cabins that we received, and would go back in a heartbeat.

Our first stop was at Mammoth Hot Springs. A cute cabin at the base of a hill-side meadow proved to be a great gathering spot for little Ground Hogs. The room was teeny, tiny but completely charming.  The bathroom was just big enough to turn around in with a shower that was more cozy than a traditional hotel.

 
  
 
Our second stop was at Lake Yellowstone. A larger version of our first cabin, the bathroom was spacious considering and the floorplan allowed for more of our junk duffle bags and fishing equipment to be thrown stacked neatly throughout. It had a more cabin-feel to it with the woodwork and surrounding tree views. It was a lovely retreat to stretch out mid-day on the bed after our 4:30am wake up call every morning.
Our last stop was at a motel outside the park. Recommended for travelers that want the convenience of a small town ammenities to their Yellowstone wilderness. Alpine Motel felt like a cabin in that the rooms were small, with a private tiny bath, and the paneling to make it feel more rustic than a chain operated fancy hotel. 

If you choose to camp through Yellowstone, I would suggest the Fishing Bridge location. It seemed to be busy, but it had the most fun-setting with a large enough grocery, cafe, and gas station with in walking distance from the campsites. Placed in a private-like setting I could see the attraction of camping in an RV at this location in Yellowstone. It is in the heart of the park which provides easy access to the different roadways looping through the wild.

Book your Yellowstone adventure early and you will have the perfect picking of your cabin or RV spot. Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

Nice cabins!

I'd never want to tent camp there with the grizzlies and other animals.