Thursday, October 28, 2010

God Box

Although I can't remember which baby shower this advice was shared, but I remember it was given from my mother as the group of women sat in a circle sharing "advice" to the soon-to-be-mother. She said to "Never stop praying for your children." I can't say as though I was surprised, but I will admit that it made me feel good that my mom kept my brother and I in her prayers every day. I was raised in a Christian home, we attended church regularly, and my parents were active members. But we did not openly pray, on a regular basis, as a family. To hear that she had always prayed for us was warming.

I started praying with my children the day I brought them home from the hospital. Every. single. day. Advice from my mom that I took hold and played out in my daily living. When the children were "old enough", the prayers became audible, and it is the one thing that my children request be the same ever.single.night. Individual prayer-time before bed.

Sometimes, they even forget that I said a prayer, and will stop me as I leave their room and say, "Wait! You didn't pray."  Okay, so maybe on those nights they were distracted while I was praying out loud with them, and those moments they need to be more focused, but the point of them thinking that we skipped prayer and it caused them concern ... that is a good thing.

During prayer time my kiddos will give their requests - "Don't forget ___ and ____", and I'd insert, sometimes mid-sentence in prayer, as they are whispering for a second time about ___ and ___. Prayer time has become a standard in our house. As my children are getting older, more independent, more choices falling into their laps from outside sources, I find myself praying throughout my day. Like, while using the paper-cutter for an hour while volunteering in my son's classroom this morning. I felt the need to pray for my children and their schools; so I did in my head as I was set to task in cutting hundreds of bookmarks.

I received this link to Real Simple magazine via our church's Facebook page. I liked it and perhaps might start a journal, or God Box of my own. The simple premise, every prayer that this mother had about her children, or others important and close in her life, she would write a quick note to God on any slip of paper, and throw it into her God Box. Upon this mother's death, her children and spouse found not one, but ten God Box's filled throughout her life. As the notes came pouring out, they realized how much their mother loved them, cared for them, and prayed for them throughout their life struggles and celebrations. To read the entire 3 page article, click here.

Something about that just warms my heart. The God Box.

No comments: