My parent-in-laws were watching my nieces and nephews for the night and invited our children (their cousins) over for a play date. We were free and that sounded great. So, given four hours, what are we going to do? I started thinking about our newlywed days; the days pre-kids ...
I married young. While I was a University graduate and worked a solid nine months in a Fortune 500 company prior to my wedding day, I was still young. We both had solid, steady jobs where we could afford to rent a two story town house with two bedrooms and two and half bathrooms. It was at the bottom of a hill that started the climb into a wealthy neighborhood. But we had a modest decorating style that felt like home and it felt wonderful. Being on our own, taking on the world, making it all work with out much struggle or stress or worry. Life was good.
We used to go grocery shopping together every week. We used to go shopping at the neatest mall about every weekend. Sometimes we were looking for a specific one thing, other times I think it was just something to do. We'd go to movies ... a lot. We would meet up with friends and siblings ... a lot. We'd drive around neighborhoods and get excited about our next step. And sometimes we would stay home, rent movies, eat popcorn, and snuggle on our green leather couch. Simple things, but whatever the plans, we did it together.
So given four hours this evening; what did we decide to do? We went to our comfort zone and just spent time together. We went shopping in our local town and had dinner at a local Thai restaurant. My husband and I no longer shop at the grocery store together, nor run errands weekly together. So to run errands and eat together, to chat endlessly along the way, reminded me of our newlywed days. How fun! I completely enjoy the simple things of life. Always have.
So, why am I typing on my blog when the kids are not home? Because our date ended and he went to fetch them. Remembering Saturdays ... pretty cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment