Monday, January 19, 2009

Favorite Student

Yes, I have a favorite student and these are her hands. She started taking lessons from me just before the December snow storm hit. But that did not stop her determination to continue to come to weekly lessons. In fact, she came even during her winter school break; begging to continue lessons. I know she practices daily, she improves quickly. She is diligent in her lessons; paying attention, self-correcting, asking insightful questions. She has a 'can-do' attitude with a smile that will melt your heart.

She is my daughter. We tried these lessons two summers ago, but the chemistry was not there on both sides. By the time she questioned a lesson, I was tired of teaching. She was still young, coordination was not there yet, and it made the thirty minute lesson shortened to just fifteen as that was all we could muster.

This time is different. She came begging. I had an overwhelmed, honors high school student drop her lessons for time management, and I called a few folks to fill the spot, but timing was not in the cards. My daughter caught wind of the open spot and begged. Our agreement, if she practices with out a nagging push by a parent, then I will teach.

Sneaking in after my last student on Monday's at 7:30pm, she sits at the piano and we are no longer mother-daughter, but teacher-student. It is working brilliantly. My tuition payment is a genuine, hard-working student who is thirsty to learn ... and ... a great, big, hug and kiss at the conclusion.

My favorite student ... my girl!!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I wondered if your taught your own children. That's so great that she's doing so well for you and is so self motivated.

When Kristen first started, I used to practice with her every day. Now she plays better than I do in many regards, so my help is needed only for the occasional technique issue and otherwise I'm off the hook. I love to hear her play, but the daily practicing that we kept up for so long was hard on me!!! I'm so glad she's fully independent with her practicing now. Funny thing, she used to get so annoyed with me if I corrected her, yet she takes criticism so well from her teacher. Actually, me trying to help her practice made me say more than once, "thank goodness you're not homeschooled!"

Francie said...

I liked how you started your blog! I was worried at first because you were talking about your favorite student and what if your other students read this blog!!! Ha-ha! I guess it's a really good thing that it's your daughter! Glad she loves it, too!
Oh, yeah, and out of all six of us kids, I was the only one that never got to have piano lessons! I guess I should just be thankful that I can sing!