Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hockey Night!

I do not remember the exact age when I was introduced to the sport of hockey. But I remember it was when we were visiting my grandparents during Thanksgiving; my dad bought tickets to see the city's junior hockey league play in town.

Bundled up I went and I remember sitting up high in the arena to watch big, heavily padded guys with helmets skate effortlessly up and down the ice. Not understanding the entire rules of the game, nevertheless I sat and enjoyed my time. And then, out of nowhere, the gloves were off, the helmets went flying, and two boys were fighting on the ice. A hockey fight, that got me out of my seat! My parents were in shock to hear their sweet, reserved, quiet, musician of a girl say, "Hit him again!" (I'm almost turning red just admitting that).

So it began. My enjoyment of hockey. Traveling back to our side of the mountains, we learned that our city too had a hockey team in the same league. One thing lead to another, and the company my dad was manager of started sponsoring the local team ... which lead to another one thing, leading to another one thing ... and I went to four seasons of home games in the city, pressed against the glass with front row seats, my dad by my side.

Then, I went off to college and I bid my farewell to my hockey fascination and our seats. My dad and I had a date to one game during my adult life, but that was pretty much it for both of us.
Until this evening.

The spanking brand new arena for our "old team" is now only a 20 minute drive away. My husband and I will be treating my dad to an old fashion hockey night; complete with seats pressed up to the glass. My children (of course they are too young for a hockey game) will be spending the evening with my mom making Calzones and playing with puppy Splash.

To quote myself, "Hit him again!" ... not so sure I will be that same girl ... after all, I have a son! What was I naively thinking way-back-then?!

1 comment:

Francie said...

That's pretty funny! I find myself dodging punches in my seat as I watch them hitting each other (you know, as if I were in the fight!) Ha-ha! You guys should look into going to one of those hockey games they have outside! We were in Chicago this year when they had it there, (we didn't go though), but I heard it was somewhere below zero in the middle of the hockey arena! Burrrr!