Monday, January 12, 2009

Basketball

I like this photo of my son playing basketball. I like it because it shows the game from his perspective ... and ... I think he has a cute head. He has been playing ball for about four seasons and he is starting to come into his own. Starting with a 6 foot hoop, he is now up to a ten foot hoop. He has gone through seasons when he could not reach the ball to the basket, to the current season where he made two baskets in one game. It is so fun to watch him grow.

I remember when I was in seventh grade; I was tall for my age, but not as tall as my close friend who eventually reached 5'11''. Some are tall and can't play hoops, she was not one of them. She was a girl who was not only smart, but coordinated on the court; she was good and already made the Varsity Team by ninth grade. But it was in the seventh grade when she urged me to try out for the Basketball team. Why?!

I was the music girl who accompanied the school choir on the piano and barely passed the physical fitness tests in gym class. It wasn't because I was weight challenged by any stretch of the imagination, it was due to me not being athletic and getting my muscles/coordination to do what they needed to (proud to say, however, that eventually changed many years later). I wonder what my friend is doing today, as she did a great job of influencing me that year, because I tried out for the team.

I didn't have much prep time and I remember my dad looked at me with a quizzical look restating, "Trying out for the Basketball Team next week." I secretively knew that it was a long shot, but thankfully my family played along and supported my outward enthusiasm. I remember my dad and my brother taking me to the local playground to practice on the outside hoops. Brr, it was freezing and I was not in favor of the ball rolling into the mud puddle and having to keep on dribbling it on the asphalt after wards. But I kept going.

Days of try outs after school, I clearly was the least experienced, but I made a few good things happen on the court to not completely embarrass myself. The coaches/teachers were supportive and made me feel like I belonged at the try outs and my friend was supportive too; giving me secret tips as we passed on the court.

However, I am sure you can guess the outcome. Yea, I did not make the team. But I was happy that I had the experience and knew a taste of what it was like to be an athlete; sweat, sore muscles, hard work.

I think my son is finding that out as he's progressed from preschool ball to second grade ball. Proud of him for sticking with it! He has come a long way, and if interested, he will continue to grow into a sport he is beginning to enjoy much more.

4 comments:

Willow said...

i love this image and this post...:) i can just imagine him dunkin that ball with a big smile on his face :)

Elle J said...

YES!! His classic Smirk-Smile that melts my heart ever.single.time.

Francie said...

I really liked this post and your story of trying out yourself! My favorite line is "and ... I think he has a cute head"!

Francie said...

I forgot to mention that I love the picture! Great "shot"!