G.N.O., in other words means, Girls Night Out, and that is what I have with my girl twice a week. Even though it is driving to/from dance class on Tuesday and Thursday, to me, it counts as a G.N.O.My girl had me all to herself for the first two years of her life, unlike her little brother who had me to himself when his big sister went off to all day school. My girl would come home from school, curious what fun mom and brother had with out her. Never anything super, duper exciting (board games were the highlight), but I could tell it hurt her a little that he got guaranteed time alone with me.
Well, this year, it has been my daughter's turn and I know it feels good on both sides. I look forward to our 4o minute round trip drive time on dance nights. I like how much she opens up and shares about her day. Sometimes it is about math or library books, other times it is more deep like boys who don't behave in class, or girl misunderstandings on the playground. We also chat about fashion, celebrities, and projects or weekend ideas.
But we always start with a song. She always let's me choose from her collection and I always seem to gravitate towards a set by Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus (I am okay with admitting that). However, I purposely do not turn up the volume too loud in the car, as I want to hear my daughter sing, rather than the famous girl through the speakers. I can tell you that she blends mighty well and I am fooled sometimes about who is whom. It is fantastic!
I look forward to our G.N.O's and hope that we are paving a path for a great mother-daughter relationship like the one I have with my beautiful mother. G.N.O.'s ... catch them any time you have the opportunity!
2 comments:
I'll take a girls night out, even if its all by myself! My mom used to sing silly songs in the car with us when we traveled. It was fun.
that is so sweet! the boys got nothin' on us :)
Post a Comment