In recent years I have been faithful in seeing my fantastic dermatologist for a yearly mole-check. I got scared into it when I saw one beginning to change, having it removed, and then rejoicing when it was "nothing".
I was the one growing up that always got burned by the sun. Red, red, red skin was common for me at least once or twice during the summer. I would like to say that during that era, sunscreen and skin cancer were not heavily talked about, but I would be lying. My mom talked plenty about it; enough for me to know better.
Now that I am a mom, I am vigilant about adding sunscreen to my kiddos every. single. day. the sun shines during the summer (because prior to that, either the sun doesn't shine here, or they are not consistently out in it). Unfortunately, last summer on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico the four of us burned with sunscreen applied. We were enjoying the beach, and it is true that the closer one gets to the equator the sun is more intense. We just didn't think about it. We applied and reapplied, but for the amount that we were outside enjoying the salty sea crashing it's waves around us with the boogie board, we did not think to reapply more frequently.
We were soar and tired that night. The first night is the worst. The aloe could not seep in deep enough to relieve the pain. We were all quiet that night at dinner, the only ones with jackets on to cover us from the evening sun until it set. It was miserable, but we all held it together until we had to crawl into bed and lay down on our pain. Lessons learned.
When I was at the dermatologist appointment yesterday morning she cheerfully said, "Oh, you've recently been someplace warm." I was embarrassed to admit that the faded tan line on my back was from last summer on the Gulf of Mexico. Her excitement fled fast to disappointment. Having a tan line nine months later, with my white Scandinavian skin, obviously points to sunburn. Sigh, I know, I know, reapply.
Sunscreen ~ Check!
Happy Doctor ~ Check!
Longevity ~ Check!

1 comment:
I'd been going for yearly skin checks but last fall the doctor told me I only need to come once every other year.
Since I can't stand the heat, I am mostly under an umbrella at the beach. If not, I have sunscreen on.
Working out in the yard, I don't burn and the only thing exposed are my lower arms.
When I was younger, I lived at the beach summers and wanted a tan. Boy, was that dumb.
Post a Comment