Thursday, April 29, 2010

Got Her Groove

I've been swimming.  Lessons every-other-week, and lots of practicing in between, has been my April focus.  At first, I started off in the shallow end with kids.  Dodging all the young ones, I got in my comfort zone of being in the water with my head submerged while moving.  I have sense graduated to the Lap Swim section of the pool from Noon to One.

There are six lanes, each with a posting of either Slow, Medium or Fast.  The Slow lanes are bookends, so that the wall and exit stairs are most handy.  But because there are only about six or seven maximum attending during this time of day, no one really cares about the lanes (except for honoring the Slow lane).  A few times I had to practice on the inside lanes.  For those times, I would just do what I am most confident in; Back Stroke and exercises with the kick board.  When a Slow lane would open up, I would be the first to head over and claim for the remainder for whatever time was left.

Wednesday I had the Slow lane all to myself for the full session.  It was fantastic!  After my warm up, I decided to practice the Crawl Stroke non-stop.  With a slight panic that I could not waste this golden opportunity to have been awarded Lane 1 for an hour, I swam my muscles out.  My cardio is good, my muscles are tired.

I broke down the crawl stroke in its simplest form.  Working on the side breathing with the kick board was the biggest help.  Making sure that I truly stretched and turned my body sideways to get a good breath.  Also, I did a lot of mini swims; meaning I would mark a spot to purposefully stop.  If I succeeded, then the next round I would mark a distance farther.  If I couldn't make it (ie: grabbed the wall) then I was disqualified and had to swim back and start over.

By the time my hour was up, I had swam one lap with out stopping!!!  I was so proud of myself, I almost lost it at the end, when I started laughing with excitement under water.

I think Elle J has Got Her Groove.  It wasn't necessarily pretty, but it was an accomplishment that I am so proud I completed!!  I am ready to return today, and the day after, and  ...

3 comments:

Rachael said...

So awesome for you. Next you be doing triathalons!

Tina in CT said...

Fantastic!!!! You must feel so good about this!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You rock girl!! All of the hair on my neck was standing up as I read this. I am so incredibly proud of you and can TOTALLY see you wanting to scream under water at the end of your accomplishment. I was thinking...thank goodness you didn't and take a big glup of water into your lungs and have a set back! :) I can't wait to hug you today!!