The winds were really whipping yesterday and the lights flickered a few times before I sent my son off to school. A few things went through my mind; A: was the concern that my daughter was on her way home from camp and had to cross waters on a boat to reach mainland from the island they had been placed on, praying the boat would not be cancelled and that she would arrive safely and on time, and B: was the concern that the power was going to go out and my plans for the day would have to be shifted to another week.
A: My daughter arrived safely home and one of her first shared moments was stating how fun the rocky boat was; gripping onto seats in order to stay in place and all. She loved it. And for those reading daily (thank you), my daughter's April Fools Letter from Camp was created by the teacher with "fill in the blank" spots to make each student's personable. Yes, her teacher is creative and what fun! Did I miss her? YEP, but I held it together and I would send her back.
B: The power did not officially go out so I was able to proceed with confidence on my plans. Dressed in my chocolate brown suit, black goggles attached to my face, I eagerly (really) went into the water of our public pool to take my first private swim class. And this is not a belated April Fool's Joke. To say that I am proud of my accomplishment would be an understatement.
My instructor was Missy and while she looked intimidating with her triathlon-style body, she was so warm hearted which quickly put my worries at rest. By the end of my thirty minute intro session, I had learned the basics of the crawl stroke and left wanting more (so I signed up for another session in a few more weeks).
She had tested me on floating skills, I passed ... on my solo breathing skills (standing), I passed ... on my kicking skills, not so bad but I am encouraged to go faster ... on my arms, she was surprised I had not swam in thirty-years ... on my breathing while putting it all together, it was a good attempt and a great start. Yes, that is where it all fell apart. But in fairness to myself, she just wanted to see how I would do, and we only had one minute left in my session before the next adult got his turn in the water.
The class was just enough to get me started and motivated to hit the pool to practice before my next session. As I was dripping wet in the locker room, so excited for breaking my fears and going for it, I typed a quick message to my friend. It applies to all of my blog-encourager's and my mom too and it read:
Swim Goggles ... $12
Swimsuit ... $60
Swim Lessons ... $27.50
Having a friend who cares that you don't drown ... Priceless!!!
Yea! I DID IT!!
2 comments:
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats to you on overcoming your fear about swimming!!!!!! Practice makes perfect as you know as with each week, you'll be a better swimmer and more confident. You must feel so good!!!!!
Thanks, Tina, for all your encouragement!!
Post a Comment