My son has been wanting to visit the University that I graduated from for a couple months now. Luckily, their Spring Break did not coincide with our Spring Break, so it was the perfect week to go for a walk about campus. Having the students there and the buildings open would be fun. Having a break in the rain was a bonus.
As I was pulling up to the main parking lot to dump the car, my son asked if I would be taking pictures of the "blooming trees." I knew what he was referring too; the Cherry Blossom trees, but he had the wrong campus. The popular Cherry Blossomed tree campus was about sixty minutes away in the opposite direction. Explaining this, he said, "Well, then, where are we going?" He thought all along I was a graduate of the other University that he visited last Spring Break and he was looking forward to going back there. The excitement just died right then and there in the backseat.
Oh well ... I would just have to find ways to jazz up this adventure. The kids were full of questions once we got onto campus and went into some buildings. I was amazed how much the buildings had not changed in eighteen years. Especially the library. They had the same chairs; the old fabric ones that make me wonder how many germs are crawling on top, and when were they last steam cleaned?! I spent many of hours in the library researching and studying for exams. The one true guarantee of quiet.
The only building that we went into that had been updated was the University Center. The place where all the kids hang out because that is where the food is served. It looks very different; and to my surprise, I was actually sad about the update. I know, after my experience with the library chairs, what was my issue?! The old way was just my way and so no rush of memories came flooding back. While it looks more hip and more inviting, and actually like the food would taste good; I still like the old way better.
To my surprise, dorm life suited me well and I had so much fun with my wing-mates. I lived here on this side of the building for three years.
The only hill on campus that I climbed to and from my private piano lessons, or back from any physical education classes, or sporting events. The Upper Campus was more "educational", the Lower Campus was more "party" and sports minded.
My kids are walking my path from my dorm room to the Communication Arts Building (at the end of the path) that all of my major classes were held. Such a small, cozy building, but many fond memories of great professors and great education.
My son dancing in the main gym. This is where I graduated, but I can honestly say I remember two things about that event: 1) getting pictures taken with my family outside and 2) lining up in the field house before the main event. Actually walking across the stage to get my diploma or sitting in my chair waiting ... not a memory. I started to get worried about that, and decided the tour needed to keep going. We walked to the new bookstore and bought a souvenir.
It was fun to travel back in time as I love, love, love my University days and campus (even if I can't remember the actual moment I graduated).
2 comments:
What a special day.
Your college has a beautiful campus.
Are you kids interested in going there? My older granddaughter wants to go where both her parents went.
When I got together with my daughter last week, it was on the campus of the college she got her BA and Masters at. Memories. Both of us have been back on campus quite a few times since she graduated.
You know, I don't really remember much about my college graduation either. I remember more details about my med school grad. 4 yrs later, and not just because it was more recent - it was definately a more defining moment in my world.
We live near to my college Alma mater and they have redone the entrance to the science complex ( key to all my college nostalgia). I too liked the old way better!! I can so relate.
Post a Comment