Thursday, April 15, 2010

Beautiful Karlene

Writing is an escape, in a way, for me. For all sorts of emotions, writing is my support, my cure, my expression, my release.  There are times when I just have to put it on paper.  Tonight is one of those nights.

While my husband picked up the kids from school, I met my son at Taekwondo after a very long, but painless, procedure at my orthodontist.  My son showed his best confidence and strength in class, I enjoyed watching him; it was actually like my own release from my long day of sitting.  I drove home in the sunshine with my boy in the backseat (my husband and daughter were at the gym getting exercise) and we were laughing and having good conversation.

I opened up my computer when my son went to change out of his uniform.  Immediately the crashing weight of sorrow fell upon my shoulder, my gut tightened, and tears fell.  I saw the news I had not wanted to read; in my mind I saw her beautiful face, her children and husband she left behind by her side. Tears I could not hold back, my son came back in the room and asked me what was wrong.  My friend lost her battle to cancer. 


42. That was all.  The healthy eater at the lunch table always dressed in her slim, stylish, business suit, who could tell a great story, and was in on all the fashion and entertainment scene.  The woman who walked into our department with an education background, and rocked the insurance world with her independence and smarts.  A mom to two beautiful children who will miss her now at every birthday, holiday, celebration, and all the normal days in between. A wife that was a perfect match to her husband; they not only looked amazing together, they were a great team.  A sister of a sister; sibling bonds are amazing. A daughter; parents worst fear of outliving their children has become reality to her mom and dad. The woman who was a friend; trusted, loyal, compassionate. 42.

Thankfully, I can't get her smile out of my mind.  Even in her final months injected with medicine to help save her life, to help make her comfortable, to help her keep going even a few days, weeks, months more ... her smile radiated the world.  I have truly, honestly, sincerely ... never seen anyone look so Beautiful with no hair and battling a painful and sorrowful disease. However, it was her eyes and smile that said enough ~ confident, caring, loving; to the very end.  She fought hard and was so very strong.

With all my heart and all the tears left, I pray for her children and husband, for her extended family she left behind, for all the people she knew and made a difference to ... that the essence of what made Karlene be who she was for all of us ... stay with us, and that God's mighty hand will be at work.

Missing you, Karlene!  

3 comments:

Tina in CT said...

I remember getting the call when my friend died from cancer 13 years ago. Horrible!

I know exactly what you are feeling and my sympathy goes out to you.

Mary Kathryn said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dear friend. So very young. How tragic. Thinking of you and your friend's beautiful family.

Rachael said...

Such sad news. So sorry to hear it, and so sorry for your loss.