Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sportin' Around

Out of the blue, an acquaintance of ours from Taekwondo class, asked if we would be interested in using two of their season tickets to the Major League Baseball game that was happening later that night.  The number one sport that our family enjoys, as a family, is baseball.  So, knowing I'd be scoring points with the hubby and son, I accepted.

While my daughter and I were at the dance studio, my son and husband went to the baseball game.  I didn't know if my son would be excited to go, since it was not the best of weather, and while he enjoys attending, would he enjoy the game?  And there is a difference; he likes to be places as a family, he likes crowds and people watching, eating cotton candy, and saying he's been to a game, but does he really enjoy the game?

Recently we have noticed when a sporting event is on the television, that he is the one rooting louder and more frequently than my husband.  Okay, let's back up, my husband is a loud sports viewer.  Not obnoxious, but he's the one that talks to the TV, and will stand up with an exhilarating holler if something is going in his team's favor.  If things are not going well, he will speak of that too, but thankfully it is kid-appropriate.  My husband is a true fan that gets into the sports he watches in person, and via television.

Once buckled in the car from TKD class, I shared the ticket news with my son.  He about flipped out of his seat with excitement.  I wish that my husband could have seen it, but he heard it when my son called him on the cell phone screaming, "Let's go to the ball game tonight!".  With only thirty minutes to spare, my son had changed his clothes, scribbled together this poster-sign to hold up during the game, and was out the door with my husband for a night of Father-Son-Baseball time.
I got a text message about 9:30pm saying that our son, with sign, had just been shown on the stadium's Jumbo Screen!!  A dream come true for any boy, and one that many work hard at achieving.

After tucking the young fan into bed just shy of 11:00 pm, my husband said that our son was a rooting, hollering, chanting baseball fan.  He has reached the level of enjoying the game.  What a cool experience for my husband ~ father and son sportin' around at a ball game.

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

And it was free! Yahoo!