Monday, July 13, 2009

Been Awhile

It's been awhile since I've seen kids use their full imagination while playing. Usually the block is playing a game, or dancing, or riding bikes, or playing with water. But rarely do my children play imagination story lines when playing with their neighborhood gang. This afternoon their friends who are siblings came back to play and they are outside whooping up the fun with imaginative play. This is how I grew up and it is great to see them adding this spark to the front yard.

I remember tying ropes to our bikes to turn them into horses, or reenacting television shows like Love Boat or Emergency/Squad 51 (and for the record, my parents didn't let us watch Love Boat but only on an extreme occasion, but I knew who Julie McCoy was so I always tried to raise my hand the highest to be chosen to play her part). Every one was a character and it was imperative that you played your part well and didn't jump character into someone different. Once we started it was the thing for the rest of the day, and it was hard to convince others that you were tired of playing that imagination, or that you wanted to switch to a game like Hide and Seek. But it just worked, all day long, you were engrossed in reenactments and imagination.
My children play this well with each other inside or when we are camping or in our backyard. Although I am grateful for the dynamics of our neighborhood and wouldn't change the people, I have always noticed this element missing. But today they are playing with their friends from school that came over for a date and I am trying to follow along....from the snippets I've over heard so far: the boys have stolen money and the girls are the law enforcement agency trying to rally them up and put them away. Bikes are strewn about, coats have come off and are laying here and there, scooters are laying on the grass ... FUN is happening!

2 comments:

Tina in CT said...

My granddaughters play imagination all the time and have for years. One weekend they were Addie (the American Girl doll) and escaping on the Underground Railway. Another weekend, they were their Kaya doll, slept in the teepee their mom helped them make in the living room, wore their Indian Squaw costumes. They carried the themes all weekend.

When my older granddaughter was younger, she would be Madeline and my daughter would have to draw an appendectomy scar on her.

Just wonderful when kids have imagination play.

When my daughter went to her grandmother's on weekends (which was often as she grew up and all my friends were so jealous), she and my mother always watched Love Boat. Didn't warp her at all.

Sounds as if your kids are having a good time this summer.

Rachael said...

You know, we used to make up story lines all the time too when I was a kid. I still vividly remember some of the roles enacted. My kids do this sometimes too. It's fun to listen in on!