Thursday, July 9, 2009

His Apple Streudel Recipe

Yesterday my daughter had a date with my mom after camp. That left my son and I alone for a date. I had picked up some ingredients to make a new recipe. Cooking is one of my son's favorite past times. With the Food Network Channel in the background, he was pumped and ready to go.

I found this recipe in the Weight Watchers 20-Minute Recipes magazine that I picked up about half a year ago. It seemed like a good thing when I bought it, but it quickly got stuck in between my cookbooks like many things.

It was super simple and tasted wonderful!! Thank goodness one batch only makes 8, otherwise we would have just had more and more and more. It would be great with vanilla ice cream or whip cream, if you really wanted to indulge. But that would probably take away from the Weight Watcher's purpose. Supposedly one Streudel receives 3 points.

My son likes to retitle recipes to make it his own, so here it is:

HIS APPLE STREUDEL

1/2 of a 12 oz package of Stouffer's Harvest Apples*
8 oz can refrigerated reduced-fat crescent dinner roll dough
1/4 tsp apple pie spice (cinnamon is what I used)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 to 1 1/4 tsp fat-free milk

Preheat oven to 375 degress. *I could not find this brand of apples at my grocer so I used 1/2 of a 12 oz can of apples that was found in the baking/pie section. If you use a can, you can skip this next step. Otherwise, if you use frozen, then microwave the apples until thawed, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Unroll the dough; separate into 8 triangles. Combine apples and spice; spread about 2 tablespoons apple mixture onto each triangle. Roll up each triangle, starting at wide ends. Curve to crescent shape. Place rolls, point side down, on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray (I used Parchment Paper).

Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden.

For the frosting, combine powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over warm Streudel. Eat warm, either fresh from the oven, or warm in the microwave about 10-15 seconds.

YUM!!!! And any left over apple mix can be used warm over ice cream or on top of the Streudel.

No comments: