Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fabulous Friend Friday

Ever met someone and felt like you have known them a good while, but you really haven't? You appreciate what they have to say, you want a piece of their wisdom, something about them intrigues you, you just want to learn more about them? I met this lady a year ago while sitting in the dance studio lobby where my daughter take classes. At first, she talked with other people that she had met and I stuck to reading my book. But she was always friendly, smiling, saying Hello when we passed. And then one day we struck up a conversation and we never stopped.

Over the past year we've really talked ... Tuesday Talk Time With D* I would call it to my hubby as I walked out the door with my girl. While I was more than happy to shuttle my daughter to and from, I was glad that in between those two car rides, that I would have a friend to chat with. You name, we chat it. So when the girls too started to hit it off in class, we figured that a play date was in order. But being in separate towns, different school schedules, extra-curricular activities, it just never got done.

Until this summer. The kids and I went over to their house yesterday. My son (being the only boy in the crowd and not knowing either the mom or the daughter very well) decided that he'd bring his camera along. If nothing else, if his sister and her friend got way-too-girlie for his new boy-attitude-liking (ya know, he is going into 3rd grade) ... that he would just take pictures of their yard. Well, little did he know that they live on property with woods. Talk about a boys heaven!
However, these woods aren't just a border of trees that separate one neighborhood from the next, these are the real kind. Like nestled amongst the mountain range where real wildlife wonder down to enjoy. Even the better! But when I checked his camera when we returned home, there was only a few shots and those were of trees, ferns, dirt, and the back of the girls' heads!! He said he was too excited looking out for wildlife that he forgot to really focus on good camera skills. I thought that was cute; I bet he was beyond excited with his heart pumping. And while they didn't go far, I am sure he thought they did!
Knowing that all three kids are responsible, with clear rules set forth such as stick together and never leave the path, and hearing their voices echo through the trees; the two mommies sat on the deck and got caught up and shared new things. What fun to continue to get to know someone. I am looking forward to our Tuesday Talk Time come September; never a dull conversation with my friend!

*As a side story, while we were driving up one of the main streets to reach our friend's house, we noticed a sign that basically said No Hunting. My son, the animal lover that he is stated, "I love this place!! Yes, this is the best ever! I am so excited, I am so excited." Any place anti-animal-killing is a good place for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, I find myself so touched by the things you write on your blog!!! We had a wonderful time yesterday and just love hangin with you all!!! And for the record, I look forward to our Tuesday Talk Time as well (and this year we have 2 whole hours!)

Lori said...

woods are awesome, we used to live in a house that had woods across the street and we played in them ALL the time, it was so fun, and it had a river.
Those are great pics your son took.