Monday, July 6, 2009

Current day and memories

Today marked the start of the five day camp for my kiddos at our church. It is a Music Camp for three hours per day with the end result being a musical performed on Friday evening for family, friends, and the congregation. This is my daughter's third year, my son's first. She has been practicing throughout the month of June on her lines and on all the songs, whereas my son started off strong, and quickly faded. When I picked them up at noon, my son came running across the gym with a smile. He was so excited and had a fabulous first day. I am glad his lack of motivation going into today did not hinder his fun. He definitely got recharged!

While they were at camp, I met my mom at Starbucks. It seems like we've been out of touch since our crazy non-stop schedule in June and the first two weeks of summer. Out of touch, as in, not going to Starbucks or meeting face to face in some other location. Do we talk otherwise? Absolutely! Like daily. Either via email or phone. But there is something about face to face conversations that are just the best.

While we were Starbucking, we planned the food portion of our camping trip adventure that takes place at the end of this month. Two kids, four adults, and one puppy spread throughout one trailer and one tent. We are flipping coins on who gets to sleep with the puppy, who is actually a 40 pound love-bug with a lick that would keep anyone awake. Cora will be vacationing at her favorite location; back at her first love, Carrie's house, at Talbot Hill Beagles among the array of beagle friends and puppies. She will be in perfect hands and always returns worn out; a happy sign.

Last night I finished the book, The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, that I picked up from the library on Friday afternoon. It was not a very thick book, so don't think I spent my entire weekend behind the pages. But I obviously relaxed enough. I am number 22 on the wait list at the library for book number two in this series. Boo. I may have to find a bookstore tomorrow.

I enjoyed the book; it was something different than what I've been reading and reminded me of some of the books I read in my all-time-favorite literature class in College. I enrolled in one Summer Semester to speed along my college career (you know, I met this guy and we fell in love, and I wanted to graduate, etc, etc,etc) and one class was Literature where we read books all summer long, and wrote reviews, and had book club type of discussions; it was the best! Since it was the summer, I lived at my parent's house and commuted to school. I remember sitting out back on their hammock or up in their den with all the windows open, reading and sipping on my mom's amazing sweetened ice tea. And then sitting in class discussing the books with the heat pounding through the open windows and the sparse number of students walking nearby on the way to the grassy lawn; with shorts on and my white Buick Skylark parked in the lot, and the car phone with cord and antenna pushed far into my book bag (cuz those were hot enough items back then, that people would actually break into cars to retrieve them). I remember all of that as if it were yesterday .... but I can't remember any of the book titles or specifics. Too many years have passed since '92. That's sad!

But on a brighter note and back to current day ~ it's been a great Monday!

5 comments:

crispy said...

The camp sounds like a neat thing for your kids to be involved in. Hope you enjoy your week with extra time to yourself.

Tina in CT said...

You and your mother are so lucky to live close enough to meet at Starbucks. I miss having my daughter in Brooklyn, NY, even though I was 2 1/2 hours away in CT. The distance between Moscow and CT is a bit to far to meet but she'll be in in just a little more than a week with the girls. I have to get over these shingles so I clear out her room so they can get to the bed and have room for the blow-up mattress.

Your camping trip will be lots of fun.

Rachael said...

So glad you're reading the series. Number 22 though? Ouch. I guess that's one of the benefits of living in a small town...no one else is my town seems to be reading this series. Hope no one sees my blog post about it, cause so far, they've all been just sitting there on the shelf. Tears of a Giraffe (book 2) has been my favorite one so far too.

Rachael said...

P.S. Did you try a neighboring library? In Michigan, you can use any of the libraries as long as you get their barcode put on the back of your hometown library card. I often skip over to the next town if my library is out of something I want. There are 3 or 4libraries within a 20 minute drive from me, but mine is a mile down the street.

Elle J said...

Rachael ~ our libraries are run by the county, and since we live in a huge county it'll take awhile. Supposedly when you place a hold then it searches all of the libraries in the county, delivers the book to your library, then you get an email notification, and then you can go pickup the book. My girl just got a book from a library 30 minutes away, so I know it works. But I should recheck that the librarian did it this way for me.

I think they just don't have that many copies available in the whole county. I saw book #8 on the shelf, and book #1 that I returned. I looked at Costco to see if they sold the set, but no.

I think my next best idea is a used book store. :)