It is that time of year again when our church hosts Vacation Bible School. It was just short of a year since attending this church when I was asked to help with VBS. Knowing that we wanted to stay at this church, I said YES as a way to get to know people. They asked if I could help organize the Group Activity for each of the five days in the Elementary age section ~ and coming from a much smaller church background where there was "not much" to VBS outside of the standard follow-the-workbook, I didn't see that it was going to be a big deal.
Wrong. It was a very big deal, very involved and I quickly found that out ... our church rarely does anything small. When we host an event, we host an event! I learned a lot and I met a lot of people. I would not have changed that volunteer job for anything ... however, I did not revolunteer for the same position again. I wonder if all the newbies are asked to fill that vacancy? Ha ha.
Since then I have always been a small group leader, starting with the preschool age and working my way up to second grade with my children. But as the years have continued, I sensed that it was time for me to take on a new volunteer role, quietly pushing my son to venture to a new leader, stepping back from the front lines.
So when the Children's Director called on me this Spring for VBS volunteering, I told her that I would like a different role, but I was open to what that new role might be (meaning, I didn't have anything specific in mind). She was perfectly fine with that answer and looked at her sheet and said, "How about helping with the Elementary School Art." Since she said that position first, I figured it was in the most need. I told her yes with a laugh and said, "As long as I am not a leader, as I am so-art-challenged. But I could make a good assistant." When my kids came home from school that day and I shared what my upcoming role would be at VBS, they both laughed and fell on the floor. They know my art-disability.
I love our church. My husband and I became members earlier this year and it feels good to have a church home. After six years of attending, it finally felt right to commit to this church. And it was a good decision. With all the activities for children and adults, the convenience in drive (through country/rural roads ~ I LOVE the drive), the Pastor's messages, the friendships, the real people. We are happy.
Tonight is our VBS Leaders Mtg to gear us up and I love this time of year! A warm summer evening, gathered at church, laughing and having fun with friends talking VBS.
No comments:
Post a Comment