Whenever the sun shines hot after days of not, it seems like our days just stop. We go into relax mode and stay there for awhile, soaking in the glory of the warmth. The kids have found that the front hose is their newest best friend with their neighborhood group. There seems to always be some water soaker filled or sprinkler on with kids playing or water balloon being used. I enjoy sitting and reading, tying the balloons, and doing ... nothing. What a treat.
Today for lunch I created a yummy meal with left overs. It is nothing special, and I am certain others have done the same, but it was perfect. I used the left over Orzo that was not used for the Greek Salad on Sunday, but was still cooked starring at me every time I opened the fridge. So I heated it up in the microwave with butter and then sprinkled Goat Cheese when it came out. I mixed it up slightly until the cheese was kinda melted. Oh My! That was great and fast.
And a miscellaneous add-in of how I am enjoying relaxing while grocery shopping with two kids who are not used to going grocery shopping with me. I devised a summer shopping job. It goes like this ...
One sibling pushes the cart, while the other uses the calculator to type in the prices as we go. It teaches them calculator skills, as in if they mess up, what button do they push so they don't have to start all over? And, if mom changes her mind after the price has already been typed in, how can they fix the price? It makes shopping so much more enjoyable for them because they have to concentrate (little room to ask for this and that as we go) and they see the running total and realize, "Wow, food is expensive. Maybe I should eat what we have rather than complain."
Then when the check out process happens, they watch the prices being scanned because they can't wait to see how close to the total they came (because we don't account for any coupons I might have). Then the two rotate jobs the following trip. So far so good.
And because the sun started smiling just this week, I have decided on another change in my household responsibilities. For the short term, I am cleaning my way through the house in the evenings. During that down time of the kids between shower time to wash off the days' grime, and bedtime. Because we don't have AC, after all this sun-thing sadly is not permanent around here, I am in a much better mood to clean at night ... after my long day outside in the sun and when the house is cooler. I don't feel as rushed to "hurry up" to get it done in the morning so I can enjoy my outside time. Much better relaxing pace for me.
This summer thing of warm air, sunshine, and relaxing all the parts of my day is just perfect right now.
4 comments:
Hey...I like the calculator idea. I should give that a try with my kids. THough I do love shopping by myself.
Back in the days when my daughter was growing up, I didn't work FT, didn't have central air and regularly cleaned, I did it early in the AM as the house was cool from the nighttime air and having the windows wide open.
My daughter has been long grown and gone, I work FT, have central air and clean very sporatically.
I thought you lived in the South and that everything had central air. I hope your bedrooms have air conditioners. I just HATE the heat.
I'm going to try the orzo and goat cheese as I love both.
I love your grocery store idea for the kids! What a creative mom you are! ;)
Post a Comment