Eighteen years ago on this evening I was attending my brother's, best friend's wedding. I was a Sophomore in college, home for the weekend's celebration, staying with my parents. It was a bitter cold First of December night, a light dusting of snow and ice were on the ground. It was a gorgeous winter setting.
The church was decorated in a festive Christmas decor, with candles lighting the pews, and lots of red and gold with wreaths and trees and poinsettias. My sister in law, married to my brother, was a Bridesmaid, my brother the Best Man. We sat just a few rows from the front, behind the slew of Aunts and Uncles and Cousins of the bride. I remember thinking as the bride walked down the aisle, that she was so elegant and beautiful!
At the reception, we mingled and were introduced to relatives on both sides of the newlyweds, but I remember being distracted by this good looking blond guy who was very social and always had a smile on his face. I remembered seeing him that past July as a guest at my brother's wedding. This time, however, this man's role of the evening was being the brother of the bride.
It was as if we were in a movie, a chick flick movie of this gal who thought this guy was cute and was wishing to talk with this intriguing man, but the hour was clicking closer to departure and nothing had happened. But as the Bride and Groom were preparing to be whisked away in their Limo, that cute blond guy came up to this shy gal and started a conversation. It was a short and gutsy move, but with in a matter of minutes he was asking the college girl if she wanted to hang out sometime over dinner.
After scrambling for pen and paper, providing my number, pausing to say goodbye to the new Mr. and Mrs., it was time for me to rush to catch up to my parent's car as they were headed home. I was swirling with glee inside and hoped that he would follow through with that phone call.
He called when I returned to school. We went out the next weekend. He "forgot" his gloves at my dorm; smooth move on his part that we'd have to meet again; we did.
Eighteen years later, we are still together in love. We have meshed to form a great journey taking the strengths of each other, each growing, and each changing to make our best team.
And the newlyweds of that magical evening?
Yes, they are still lucky in love too!
Happy Anniversary, C. and M.!!! Love you!
7 comments:
awwww, you two are so cute together! i can just see it, your descriptions are perfect :)
Sounds like a cool guy ... Who is he? :}
Thanks Babe for the memories. What an awesome night that was.
xoxo. M.
Great story...thanks for sharing.
Thanks for taking me down memory lane of my wedding night. You are always great at describing the scene. I am glad that we are both so lucky in love. We are a lucky family. Love you...M
What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it!!!
Yippee!! That is such a sweet story! I remember hearing that the two of you had hooked up and being surprised and excited for you both... :-) 18 years ago? Wow!
How romantic. Chick Flick in a post. I loved it.
Post a Comment