Saturday, December 27, 2008

Lefse

All my life I have enjoyed the taste of Lefse on Christmas Eve. I used to make it with my brother when we were growing up. We didn't have all the proper tools to make the best, but it was the best we ever knew. However, by the end of the making, my brother and I would be frustrated because the dough would either have stuck to the cutting board, or torn upon transfer to the skillet. We would make enough for all of us to enjoy, but not plenty. Many unused rolled forms would be thrown away; we had had enough!

Made out of potatoes, there are many variations on how people enjoy their treat. We are simple with just butter and sugar, after my Grandfather's tradition and how my mother was raised. Although, my mom was also raised by a German mother who enjoyed her Lefse with Ketchup, which just drove my Grandfather crazy, the story goes. Regardless, it has always been a favorite yum, and now my children enjoy it too!

When my husband joined the family, my mom upgraded to the real Lefse board, stick, and skillet to make it all work like a pro. My husband then took over the makings, and it has grown into a Father-Daughter tradition. My daughter calls herself the "flour girl"; the one responsible for rolling out the potato dough with talent; getting enough flour on the board so the dough does not stick. My husband then is in charge of lifting the uncooked Lefse off the board with the Lefse stick and transferring it to the dry skillet. They have their routine down and make plenty all perfectly made! I enjoy taking these pictures every year.It is a real Christmas Eve treat.

1 comment:

Francie said...

Sounds so interesting! Now, I have to google it and find out what it is!