And then it was about that same night that our power went out ... and stayed out for 48 hours, with the rest of the western half of our state staying out for as much as five days. We had had a huge windstorm, followed by freezing temps, snow, and ice that lasted clear until February.
School was canceled the last few days before the winter break; no school holiday party, no time to give teacher gifts, or to bring home Christmas project gifts. Upon return in January, school was on again ~ off again. For every two-hours late, the morning Kindergarten class did not attend. For every school cancel, every body stayed home with mom.
And wouldn't it be, that that was the year that my son was in morning Kindergarten. I started marking my calendar for every day he missed from school due to weather or vacation. He missed 28 days of school between Thanksgiving break and February 1st and that is a sincere fact. That was also the year in February that he caught a nasty bug and was out another week preceding mid-winter break. However, after missing so many days, I am happy to report that he still passed and graduated from Kindergarten.
It was about mid-January that same year when my daughter and I looked at her pretty Snow Princess and debated whether to put her in the closet. Could this sweet art truly have started this fiasco? But it has become a cute tradition to place her on the counter in the winter and remember the winter of 2006 to 2007.
The Snow Princess went on display early this week and now all television channels are predicting a snow storm rolling in tomorrow. My daughter's eyes are twinkling.
Update: The snow started falling at 8:15 this evening. Imagine the screams of delight heard in my house tonight.
5 comments:
Oh that is so funny! I like to think I don't believe in all that stuff, but deep down, I always get that feeling... What if? Best of luck with the storm.
She's so cute! That could be pretty fun to make w/ the "kids" (Rachael's kids)... what did she make the princess out of?
The snow princess is absolutely adorable!!! Thought I would let you know that we have quite a bit of snow at our home already. In fact, it has accumulated to the point that many cars would most likely get stuck in our driveway!
Crafting the Snow Princess; a block of wood with a dowel sticking up as the base. A Styrofoam white cup as the skirt poked through the dowel. Stacked on that is the dixie cup and stacked on that is a Styrofoam craft ball for the face, followed by another dixie cup for the hat. Add eyes, paper clips, pipe cleaners, stickers, yarn, whatever you can find,etc. to create the final look.
:)
D. ~ I can imagine the amount you have received. It is still snowing here, lawns are white, but it is pretty wet (the roads are slush). I hope we get to see each other on Tuesday! Keep me posted ...
Post a Comment