Well, my faith proved positive. I was able to literally sail through the highway to the city without even a red tail light shinning on my face. I found outdoor parking at the first lot across from the court house, with an Early Bird special of $12. And I walked the most confident when I was excused at 2pm from Jury Selection.
What a time consuming but well oiled process Jury Selection is. A lot of hurry up and wait. But in the end it completely works. I learned fairly early in my morning that Jury Selection for the 2-day to 1-week trials are only held on Mondays and Wednesdays. Today is Friday. That means that all 300 people in the large Jury Holding room was for one high profile case. Talk about the speed that butterflies can fly in one's stomach!!
Luckily I was the first wave of potential jurors who was sent to the courtroom for interviews; because I know the rest of the 240 people are just starting their process this afternoon, into evening, and potentially on Monday before they get to leave, if not selected.
As I sat waiting my turn to share, I looked at the defendant and thought about how many people's lives are touched by this one act; whether innocent or guilty. Someone thinks he created the crime, and now all 300 of us are here. Not to mention the deeper issue of the victim and the lives surrounding that life.
To all those who have been or will be Jurors in the future; I tip my hat to you. Our judicial system works ... and so does one's faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment