I understand that all-things-Royalty may not be everyone's cup of tea. I understand that some could care less about today's matrimony of William and Catherine. But this girl was ten when she watched Princess Diana get married in 1981, and it was f-a-s-c-i-n-a-t-i-n-g!!! At that age, girls dream of a Fairy Tale wedding of their own, and would adore being a Princess in a Royal Family. I was no exception.
While I did not set my alarm clock to watch today's ceremony Live, and while I did not join into any of the fanfare magazine articles, newspaper, or television shows leading up to the Royal Wedding, I did set my DVR and watched it fifteen hours later. I found myself with continued fascination over the entire process, but this time through the view of the Mother Of The Bride, not the Bride.
I kept imagining my daughter, who was sitting in the room with me admiring the dresses, the hats, the horses, the Cathedral ... and what it will be like to be the Mother of the Bride to my girl some day. Weddings in general are emotional, I can not imagine "giving her away" to such Royalty. Princess Catherine will certainly be taken care of monetarily, but emotionally will she have the love of family? Will she truly be cared for - or will she be lonely among the rules and regulations of the Royal Family? Once in a lifetime, absolutely ... but is she going to be okay? I wonder what the thoughts of the Mother of the Bride were as she saw her stunning Princess walk towards the handsome Prince in Westminster Abbey.
I am sure my Royal naivety is shinning through, but those were my thoughts as I watched. I am sure the Princess if a very confident, independent woman who will be completely happy and secure - her mother not concerned in the least.
On a side note, I don't think it is fair to judge the expressions, nor mannerisms of the Royal couple on a day such as this. One may wonder and question, but it should stop there. The fiddling of the thumbs by the Groom as they were seated during the Bishop's Sermon should not be scrutinized, for example. Or the fact that the Groom did not stand entirely straight to eliminate the loose crease going across his chest during the entire ceremony. All of those should just be forgotten, and not judged. So I won't mention it.
While the ceremony was in full force, my daughter happily commented, "I always wanted to see a real wedding. This is amazing!" I had to continue to remind her that this was a Royal Wedding - not a common wedding. She kept ignoring me, however, so I am not real sure if her reality is in check as she drifts off to dreamland later tonight.
But that is okay - she is twelve, and will remember her first Royal Wedding for the rest of her life.
2 comments:
I set my alarm for 3:50 here in CT and my feet hit the floor and immediately turned on my bedroom TV. Came down and turned on the kitchen TV and let the dog out for a few minutes. Then I made my cuppa tea and the dog and I went to the den to watch the wedding. 15 hours later I turned it all off. I loved every minute of it. I'd been watching wedding coverage all week at night.
I would never want her life as it will be nor would I want it for my daughter. Although having her living for 7 years in Moscow has been the pits.
Post a Comment