Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The day after forty ...

Where do I begin to retell my story of my 40th Birthday so that I remember it in future years?  I think the most fun about my birthday was that I had no expectations. I didn't feel like I had to make it the best birthday ever, yet that is exactly what it turned out to be.

By chance I happened to go to bed early on Monday night. While my husband was working out at the gym, my kids (I had thought) were asleep in their beds, while I was zonked-out in my room for the night. The next morning I found that my daughter took advantage of having the house "to herself" the night prior, as she had gotten out of bed after I tucked her in - in order to decorate.
I woke to signs on picture frames and my computer professing her Birthday Wishes and Love. And I found this handwritten note by my daughter on my nightstand:


On the day of all days, the house is full of tickets. 
Look for all 7 for your personal heaven. 
All are your wishes or hopes to come true. 
Hope you like them, we love you!


I found notes under the telephone charger, in the fridge, in my makeup case, under the table clock ... she hid them so well, that I literally kept finding them throughout the day. It was so fun!! What did the tickets say?

*One free hug for Mom - valid with any family member
*One free hour with no distractions ~ valid only on weekends  (smart girl, she knows she wants a ride to ballet and everything else on her agenda. Ha Ha).
*One free movie night - movie and snack of your choice
*One free back massage - use with any family member as your masseuse (she knows this is my all time favorite request)
*One free massage - valid through any family member (see, she gave me two of these!)
*One free no-cook-for-u-meal - valid with any family member (my girl would admit she is not a cooking kinda gal, so this made me laugh that she continues to rope her brother and dad into her sweet thoughtfulness).
*One free no dishes day - use with any family member.

THANK YOU, MY SWEET GIRL!!! You really made my day extra, super special with your kind words and thoughts. I love you so very much, and I promise to spread the requests to all the family members, as you have already politely implied.

After the kids were sent away to school, I popped into the Zumba Class at the gym. This was by-far the most fun dance class ever, simply because of the instructor. High energy, perfected dance moves, and fun conversation that sparked laughter, all wrapped up in her gorgeous Venezuelan accent. We were having so much fun - the hour class turned into an hour and fifteen minutes because nobody wanted to stop their Zumba.

I'm not sure how long the rest continued to dance, but I had to jet home to prep for a lunch date with my one of my favorite group of girls minus one that couldn't make it (SP).  Look at these two - they just scream FUN!
Of course, you can't help but smile when you are surrounded by girls who not only spoil you with their crazy idea of decor, but who take time to make you feel good about who you are, and find time to laugh!!  So very grateful for my friendships in life.
The school bell was ringing our names, so we departed from lunch to retrieve our littles among four different school districts (amazing really that we all don't know simple) ... and then the evening was spent with my wonderful family. My husband had planned a fantastic evening for me!
My parents came over to ride with us to the city to enjoy a nice evening with a view and great seafood. It was so fun to celebrate my night with my amazing parents that raised me with good values, leadership, and compassion. I am so grateful God gave me to them.
We wound down the full day back at our house with cake and a few gifts. I will blog about the special gift by my brother and his family gave to me, and my parent's awesome thoughts, tomorrow.
Rolling into forty was by far the most fun I've had on a birthday in a very, very, very long while. I just felt so wrapped up in all the messages received from friends during the day via the good ol'internet, and my friends face to face, and certainly by my loving family. I am very grateful.

Yes, the day after forty ... I'm still smiling.

1 comment: