Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Raspberries

We have this fantastic U-Pick Farm with in a thirty minute drive from our house.  Every year I think about getting the kids out in the fields to pick, but by the time I am thinking about it the fields are closed.  You have to time it correctly, otherwise you will miss it.

This year I was finally on top of it.  I called yesterday to confirm what was available and they had just opened the Raspberry fields that day.  That was it; we were headed out this morning by 9am to get there when they opened. I am so glad we did, because the parking area was pretty full just after an hour of our arriving.
At first my daughter was not enthused about going.  I got the first glimpse of a real Tweener last night and this morning when I told her that yes, in fact, we were still planning to go. Any age-appropriate, but not encouraged, attitude that she might have had before we left quickly disappeared after she 1) saw the beautiful fields and ambiance of the country, and 2) picked her first few raspberries.  Yes, she was hooked.  And she doesn't even really care to eat them.
I was very proud of both children. We were a good team with laughter and humor trying to pull each other away from the picking when we knew we had to stop.  The farm provides the flats, and I asked before we left for the field approximately the cost of one flat.  The worker said even if we were to pile it to over flow status, I wouldn't be looking at more than $22.  Good, because I only brought $26 and they only take cash in the field.
We knew we could fill the flat, but we could not fill more than one.  Next time, we will plan to go with friends and family so that we can all help pick several flats and then divide the flats and cost.  Picking was really fun. The comfortable temperature with sunshine made it so we didn't want to leave.

Now, what to do with the 9 pounds of raspberries sitting on my counter?  I know that they will only keep for a few days in the fridge, so I need to portion them out ... pie, jam, freezer, or a combo of all three.  Hmm.
The best quote of the day from my Tween ... "Mom, we have to do this every year!"  Deal ~ let's seal that with a hug and a kiss!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Yum!

Tina in CT said...

They look fantastic.

I'll never forget walking into my SIL's in Oregon after they'd gone raspberry picking and they had about 10 times more than you picked. I am a real raspberry lover so that was overwhelming for me.

Pie, jam, just eating them sounds good to me. Make sure you freeze some for next winter.