Jesus, Joy of Man's Desire. My favorite because it reminds me of my Grandma.
I am not sure if it was really my Grandma's favorite song, but I am certain that she always played it for me on her organ when I would visit her.
My sweet Grandma always had a twinkle in her eye that I've never seen anywhere else. She would smile and you knew she was looking right at you with her love and care. I know she is smiling saying, "Yes, God is gracious and I am right here by His side."
My Grandma passed away early this morning at the beautiful age of 98. While medical staff will say that she was no longer responding to life here the last week, I know she was someplace happy because she always chose happiness in her life. When given a difficult situation, she would find a way to ignore it with an appropriate balance to not interrupt her daily life of praising God.
She loved to tell stories about her life. She enjoyed conversations about the "olden days" of life on a Mid-west farm and travels to the West. About her siblings, about her father and mother. To think of all that she witnessed from 1912 to 2010 ~ I know we all enjoyed her stories. I will miss hearing them replayed over and over.
She also enjoyed telling fabulous stories about my dad to my brother and I. I specifically remember looking over at my dad, who would be sitting on the couch of her living room, while she was engrossed in the stories of naughtiness and mischievous situations that he got himself into as a boy. And he would be rolling his eyes with a half smile and a half smirk. I would giggle. My Grandma would catch on, turn to him and say, "Don't you remember that?" He would come back with a funny line about perhaps it wasn't exactly as she had told.
My Grandma wanted to be sure that all of her children and grandchildren were taken care of. Always, she would ask each one of us during a visit how "so and so" was treating us. Whether it was a friend, a boyfriend, a fiancée, a husband ... she had to know that her Granddaughter was in a healthy and good relationship. Right up to the last time I visited with her, sixteen years of marriage, was "Is (insert my husband's name) treating you okay?"
(summer 2007 - Grandma, her best friend Dave, and me)
(Grandma loved to hear her Grandchildren play her organ. My children's turn the summer of 2007)
Berry pies, ice tea, loads of geraniums and pansies, cherub angels on her walls, bibles and hymnals, singing and organ playing, rose petaled dishes, lace, knitting, crochet, laughter, songs, lipstick and high heels (up to age 96!), always skirts and blouses, lots of jewelry, perfectly manicured nails, beauty parlor hair always in order, hugs that lasted what felt like eternity, perfume, soft-soft skin, faith, friendships, games, caring, loving, funny, grace, stories, stories, stories, stories.
I love you, Grandma! May you be singing among the Angels of Heaven for the rest of eternity; playing the organ, directing the choir, having your solos, until we meet again. Always in my heart. Thank you for your never ending love and peace that you shared about life. I love you, Grandma!
.jpg)

8 comments:
What a loving tribute to your grandmother. She sounds like a wonderful lady. How nice that your children got to really know her and because of their ages, they will always remember her.
My sympathy to you and your family.
Thank you, Tina! I appreciate your comment and support.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.
She sounds like an amazing woman.
Steve's grandpa passed away 2 weeks ago at the age of 97. Crazy to think about all the life they had seen in almost 100 years!
We too feel privileged that our kids got to know a great grandparent.
Blessings to you and your family.
Thank you, Friend!!I am sorry to hear about Steve's Grandpa. So nice that he was able to share his Grandpa with his kids ~ I feel lucky to have done the same.
It is fun to think about all the many changes they have seen in our world. I hope I can be so fortunate.
Your grandma sounds like a very special woman! So sorry for the loss to your family. Beautiful words you had to say for her too, by the way.
My grandchildren are lucky as their father's grandmother is still a spunky lady. She is always at her daughter and SILs for the holidays when my daughter, SIL and the girls are there at the holidays. She's the only one of their great grandparents that are living. Grammie is a great lady.
I LOVE hearing stories my grandma tells about her and us and the "old days." I could listen to her talk all day long. Funny how it means so much more coming from your own grandma. I could never sit and listen to just any old lady chat all day! The old guy with the suspenders... I'm guessing is your grandpa? He's adorable. I have a thing for old men; who doesn't though, they are so cute!
Natalie ~ I so agree!! No, Dave (the old man in suspenders)happened to move into the same retirement center after my Grandpa passed away many, many years ago. They became best friends as he was single too. =) A very good man ~ as it always was with my Grandma ~ she knew how to pick her friends well.
Post a Comment