Friday, June 11, 2010

Last Friday

The last Friday of the current school year. Yay!!  The barbecue was fun.  My son is such the gentleman; he is just truly a good guy.  I met him out on the benches that are a lunchroom spill over when the weather is clear and nice.  Unfortunately they have not been used this school year, sigh, but I sat waiting for him there as his classroom is just inside and around the corner.  He came out beaming at me.  We stood in line and chatted a bit.

As we entered the lunchroom, I suggested that he waited for me to get through the parent line.  Sure, he said. Well, no he didn't.  I laughed inside.  He was clear across the lunch room in nothing flat getting his burger from the grill and filling up his tray.  I kept one eye on him while I went through the line to catch up.  But he knew all along what he was up to.  He gathered all his food and then came back to me to escort me to a spot in the lunch room.  His buddy, with the most adorable freckles, asked if it would be okay to sit with us and of course we said yes and enjoyed his company.  Such a polite group of friends.
His friends raised their hands to be excused (a lunchroom rule) and they left for recess.  My son didn't raise his hand because he wanted to keep eating.  Then later, the more we talked, the more I realized he just wanted to hang out with me.  Because he said, "I'll just wait here with you until 5th grade comes."  I told him it would be fine if he wanted to leave and catch up with his friends.  No, he'd like to stay. Melt.

With only five minutes left to go, I suggested he better leave so that he wasn't late for his classroom (lunch times were adjusted today, and he couldn't remember when his lunch recess ended).  He agreed and he hugged me goodbye and helped me find a spot to wait for his older sister.  So sweet.

My girl came in and immediately spotted me.  She sat with her class (and me) and it was fun to see the dynamics of the fifth graders.  My friend and I were the only parents at our table.  We sat back and let the kids do their thing.  It is fun to see the kids growing up.  Kids that I've known since Kindergarten are now graduating to Middle School. Sigh.
(our good, fancy camera is with my husband today, so I got the one that we need to replace. Fuzzy pictures are not okay.  The back of the camera made it look like a good photo. Bummer it is not.).

After hugs goodbye, my girl skipped-ran away with her friends to recess and the rest of their day.  I got in the car and headed for the grocery store, which by the way is my least favorite thing these days.  I've been spoiled with weekly home grocery delivery and I love it.  I spend less, and my groceries are delivered to my counter! But I had to stock up on certain foods for tomorrow's big day at the performing arts center.  Lunch and snacks can't be messy as my girl will be eating in the lobby in costume between dances and professional class photos.  Clean and protein is tomorrow's lunch.

And this is what I packed in my son's fishing bag; he and my dad will be dock catch-and-release fishing tomorrow while we are at the stage.  My dad introduced me to Mike and Ike's when I was a kid and it kinda became a tradition between my son and my dad now.  Shhhh, he doesn't know that they are in his fishing pack .  Surprise!!

1 comment:

Tina in CT said...

What a nice day you had. I'm sure you and your husband can take some credit for your son's thoughtfulness and manners. Kids would not know them if they weren't taught and practiced at home in daily life. He sounds like such a good kid.

Have fun tomorrow.